Skip to content

Discuss This Bruce Rossmeyer, Harley-Davidson dealer killed in road crash General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bruce Rossmeyer, Harley-Davidson dealer killed in road crash

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Bruce Rossmeyer, Harley-Davidson dealer killed in road crash

One of America’s most successful Harley-Davidson dealers has been killed riding his bike to the Sturgis bike rally. Bruce Rossmeyer, 66, was killed on Thursday in a motorcycle crash in Wyoming as he made his way to the Sturgis, motorcycle rally. Rossmeyer was the boss of 13 dealerships in Florida, Colorado, Massachusetts, Mississippi and Tennessee. He opened the 109,000-square-foot Destination Daytona in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (31 July 2009 14:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerwookiejim

Nov 07

RIP

RIP Brother.

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Who's rights here ?

First, a qualifying statement: I am not that far behind the departed Mr Rossmeyer age-wise. I started riding in the early 1960's and we very seldom ever wore a helmet " around town " - but always on our country rides ( think private TT's ) and when we went road ( track ) racing, as required by the Regs. The fact we were far more likely to wear a kerb, pole or car windscreen post around metro/suburban roads completely escaped us. But then the mounting evidence of lost friends ( some in the most bizarre and harmless looking incidents ) got through. Laws weren't far behind. That a bloke of this guy's experience was riding helmetless defies belief in this day and age. His conceit and disregard for reality has probably had a huge impact on family, friends and employees. What about their rights? The only figures I could quickly find tell the story: Another Bush genius, Jeb - in the US State of Florida, " repealed " compulsory helmet laws some 9 years ago - Florida helmetless motorcycle deaths in both 1998 and 1999 - the two years prior were 22 for each year. The last figures I have make sobering reading - despite not factoring in any statistical rise in motorcyclists overall. In 2004 - 250 helmetless riders died on Florida roads - you can work-out the appalling statistical percentage increase for yourselves. I fully appreciate that the other vehicle was to blame here. However, that is precisely why anyone with half a brain would do all they could to protect themselves. I loathe & detest the Nanny State and the way things have gone in a wider sense - but this is stupidity - plain & simple. I really hope he enjoyed exercising his rights - while it lasted ...

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

Well,  he died doing what he loved.   Riding his bike without a helmet.   

Reply to this Topic
BlackPrince

Feb 09

BlackPrince says:

Sad but likely

I think that all of us when we go out make risk assessments all the time and ride and dress accordingly:

when I'm going out for a proper blast its full leathers and back protector, most other times its Goretex, and when warmer, jacket and jeans. The odd day in Ireland where its very very warm (once in seven years), I'll wear just a t-shirt, but will be VERY VERY careful.

Lets be honest tho, even wearing full leathers we are very vulnerable and act accordingly.

I support this bloke's right not to wear a helmet but not his right to ride like an idiot (and yes, passing a vehicle and failing to assume that it might turn when you are riding something that is dogslow, and lidless IS idiotic), and he paid the consequences as a result.

A tragic loss, made all the more tragic because it was easily avoided

Reply to this Topic
bellstaffe

Mar 08

bellstaffe says:

ROSSMEYER

I am sorry to read of his death.

In my experience of group riding, you either ride as a convoy at the slowest speed or adopt an 'I'll see you there' approach.  On any ride out, there is a place for both.  

If the driver of the truck had been signalling for some time and the four riders ahead of Rossmeyer were trying to keep up with their leader, then Rossmeyer committed the cardinal error of group riding of trying to keep up.

If the driver of the truck was on an empty road and hadn't signalled and didn't bother to check for others when the four riders rode past before turning across the road then one hopes that Governor Jeb Bush hasn't repealed the Electric Chair.

Safety gear is another matter.  I may hate sweaty foggy helmets but after a silly slow speed accident that would have left me brain damaged if I hadn't been wearing one, I wouldn't even ride my bicycle without a crash helmet and much as I also dislike summer riding in leathers and back protectors, I never ride any distance without.

Rossmeyer lived in a country which isn't ruled by an army of non-productive bureaucrats that spends its time dreaming up laws to restrict the personal freedoms of those who pay their bloated salaries and pensions. Also, he paid for his own healthcare.  If his insurers were willing to give him cover and if his family acepted that he wanted to ride his bike with the wind in his hair, then all one can say is that he died doing what he loved and acepted the risks.

Reply to this Topic
jcbenbow

Sep 05

jcbenbow says:

R.I.P.

Live life, dont be scared of it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN