Skip to content

Discuss This Sykes wants to stay despite being overshadowed by Spies World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Sykes wants to stay despite being overshadowed by Spies

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Sykes wants to stay despite being overshadowed by Spies

Britain’s Tom Sykes remains determined to keep his ride in the factory Yamaha World Superbike team in 2010, but knows he faces stiff competition for the coveted ride. Sykes currently sits seventh in the World Superbike Championship standings on 150 points – 30 points behind Leon Haslam in sixth and just five points ahead of Carlos Checa in eighth.  Speaking...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (31 July 2009 17:03)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Tom Tom Is Go

I agree with ALL previous comments , he comes across as a nice lad , keen , and without any hang-ups. give him another year and he should be chasing podiums.

In my book he is far better than the other brits, with the one exception of Crutchlow, 2009 WSS Champ elect ( hope so )

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Tom Tom Is Go

I agree with ALL previous comments , he comes across as a nice lad , keen , and without any hang-ups. give him another year and he should be chasing podiums.

In my book he is far better than the other brits, with the one exception of Crutchlow, 2009 WSS Champ elect ( hope so )

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Tom Tom Is Go

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

If the best he can do is fourth at this stage,   does it look like he will suddenly master the bike and smoke the competition in the future?  Spies shows the difference between world class riders,  and good journeymen.  He should be in motogp for sure.   As should crutchlow if he goes on at this pace - but he has to prove himself on the world stage on a superbike.   Sofuoglu smoked everyone on his wss bike,  but did fuck all on the bigger bike.  Hope this isnt the case for cal,  as uk needs a top flite rider, and not competent plodders.

Reply to this Topic
9999steve

Jun 06

9999steve says:

Fourth

Fourth is not good enough if you want to win no but if you compare all the field against Spies then all but 3 might as well go home. Thats not how racing is and no package is truely comparable. Tom can do better im sure but it takes him longer than some to show results but generally when they come they stay. He's showed he can ride with the best of the rest last year at brands but as we know its not a one race series. Im a fan so bias and find riders like Tom far more interesting to watch and support than someone that can blitz a field and is a predictable winner.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

Sykes

Like everyone else on here I like Sykes, still not quite sure why he got the ride above other though, but he did, maybe Yamaha were paying so much on riders wages they had to cut back somewhere.

The position he is in fairly much as expected.

But.

I do not think he has thought through properly his position, maybe he has a clause which says he will keep his seat if he finishes above a certain position, but not forever.  Now he has settled in he needs to think about hiting that position but also about helping Spies win the title, he had his chance to get in front of an injured Haga and assisting Yamaha with the title, he needs to think of both, even if he fought with Haga in a tough battle but lost, it helps Spies as it holds back Haga.

So if Fabrizio or Haga end up behind him, with a bad start or whatever he needs to try and keep them behind him no matter what as if it was for the title, that will win favour with Yamaha, look at their direct and none direct stable of riders, Camier leading BSB, Walker, Cal leading World supersport, Spies ex AMA multiple champion, Toseland ex WSBK champion, Edwards ex WSBK champion, Rossi possibly one of the best riders ever, Lorenzo giving him a hard time and so on.

They like racers who are thinking podiums and championships.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

enough experience ?

To be fair looking at the new bunch of wsb riders Tom is the least experienced of any of them, Jonny Rea had a year in world supersport and Spies is a rookie but a multiple ama champion and came to the series with a lot of expectation of him doing as he has, which was always going to overshadow Sykes so I think he deserves another year to prove himself then it has to be make or break , look at the slack that Toseland has been given and he is vastly more experienced than most, He has just happened to of joined wsb at a time when his team mate is particularly special,if you look at Haslam ,Byrne etc is Sykes doing that badly ? It's a tough game and maybe i'm going soft but give him a bit longer ?

Reply to this Topic
jamesg75

Dec 05

jamesg75 says:

Unless he gets a win can't imagine he will keep the ride even though he has been consistent. He is a good rider just overshadowed by spies. I think its time they start turfing out the old guard checa and the likes to make more room for Sykes and Haslam of the world.     

Reply to this Topic
leecho

May 09

leecho says:

sykes

spies is out of this world what he is doing, on tracks he has not rode before, he will give them a shock when he goes motogp, tom his doing a good job, hope he keeps his ride nxt yr.

Reply to this Topic
chrysalis97/98/99/00

Sep 08

Sofuoglu

This is a Sykes subject forum i appreciate, but regards to the comment on Sofuoglu doing #### all in WSBK, i think this is a bit of suspect comment. Sure he did not gel with the bike as many figured he would, but, try coping with your brother being killed racing then, days and weeks later still trying to get results at the highest WSBK level. Many of the top WSBK racers respected him alot for even trying and probably do not have such short memories as us armchair pundits.

A few months after the accident he returned and won the last WSS round at Portimao, Give the guy a break, he may yet become a top level WSBK rider.

On the subject of Sykes, he is not done yet, people in the know around the BSB paddock were saying back in 2002 when Sykes/Craig Jones and Crutchlow were dicing in Junior Superstock, that although Sykes and Jones were the two outstanding guys battling for wins, Crutchlow was a big 'dark horse' to excell. So he is now confirming that and is putting pressure on other WSBK riders, not just Sykes.

I do not believe Sykes is making excuses when he comments about the Spies/R1 combo. I think Spies's natural ability is making the R1 look even better than it is, in a similar way to Ross and the M1 in 2004.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices