You are in... Forums > General > General > Gear Probs

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ninjamatt0

Aug 09

ninjamatt0 says:

Gear Probs

Hi got a tiny little problem with my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (1999) sometimes when i go to change from 1st too second i find my self in neutral and if im burning it obviously i over rev and its very frustrating dnt understand why this is happening its not like im shifting gears like a little girl there's no difference in the ammount of force i use to change gear, also my friend that occasionally rides it has noticed this too.

Anyone have any suggestions

and also another little thing when i run out of fuel and switch to reserve i have to wait about 5 mins before it'll start again or i can just bump start it. happened to me today on a set of lights at a roundabout to a major A road junction was so emabarrasing as i was holding up the traffic :S just wondering if anyone else has had this before on a 99 Ninja

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 August 2009 19:54)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Hello ninjamatt0

I catch neutral very occasionally when I haven't been positive enough with the shift, but it can help if you raise or lower the gear lever position by adjusting the linkage rod.

After draining the carbs and then switching to reserve it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to restart (-the manual says don't crank for more than five seconds at a time or the starter will overheat).  Maybe in your case the fuel tap's vacuum-operated diaphragm is damaged (although I'd expect it to leak, not resist flow) or the filter is getting blocked? If your bike is otherwise running fine I'd just mention it when the bike goes in for its next service.

As the fuel level falls you should get enough warning before the engine stops completely and it's possible to turn the tap whilst on the move, or just pull over to do it. On the move, reach outside and under your thigh. The knee out, I'm-scratching-my-balls look just won't do it!

James.

Reply to this Topic
Bri55hornet

Aug 07

Bri55hornet says:

Have a Blip

I presume you are useing your clutch if you are then try not useing it and blip Ie Down as ya nudge Up as she bites into gear Blip= Tiny adjustment really ya throttle as ya nudge it up to second I hope this is of use some times this method is refered to as a raceing change f.. knows why:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
foxman

Aug 02

foxman says:

Confused about the switch over part....

when the bike starts splutterring because you need to switch to reserve, do you pull over and stop or do you just switch to reserve and then the bike stops?

If the former, just keep going as you switch it over - this will stop the carbs from draining. Alternatively, is there a 'prime' option of the fuel tap. Use this and then the bike should start more rapidly.

If the latter, can't help I'm afraid :upset:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

gear probs

What condition is the oil in??

Also, check the chain and sprockets

Reply to this Topic
ninjamatt0

Aug 09

ninjamatt0 says:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. erm i normally watch the trip meter for milage to guage the fuel but this happened 3 times to me so far i was riding and cut out at a junction, a roundabout and on the M25 everytime had to wait at least 5 mins i smoked a fag trying to start every min or so. on the 3rd time on the M25 it wouldnt start after 10 mins!!!! i had to run along and bump start it luckely i was on a downhill section and not much effort was involved plus im 6'3 so that kinda helps.

i was thinking maybe spark plugs, but then i thought i never have it happen in the mornings or on at least half a tank or more it always starts first time, although it needs a lil time to warm up if engine completely cold but  i know this is common with ninja's so ive been told.

Chain and sprokets fine. Oil has done 3k ganna change it this week at sum point and i service my bike my self .

Other than that she runs fine all other gear changes are smooth no grinding of any kind etc... no abnormalities other than ones mentioned.

hope this helps with further diagnostics.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices