Skip to content

Ask an Expert R and G crash bungs - are they worth it?? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > R and G crash bungs - are they worth it??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Davchef

Mar 09

Davchef says:

R and G crash bungs - are they worth it??

I am thinking about buying some crash bungs to fit on a vfr800, which will be fully lade3n with panniers and a top box, would it be worth fitting crash bungs?

also are r and G the best option??

A quote by my local honda dealer has quoted me £140 inc vat but says that he will fir for free if i buy the bike from him from new....

does this sound like a good deal

Thanks

Dav

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 August 2009 23:41)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Could be

worthwhile, although they tend to look better on race replicas. Panniers will protect quite a lot of the bike, but may shift more damage to the sides of front end areas  in an incident. R and G are one of the better known makes and one of the originators of the idea.

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Crash Bungs

Are not necessarily a good thing.

Fine if you just drop your bike, or it just slides un inturruped as it would on a track, but on the road, if one of those bungs catches on something, it can cause terrible damage to the frame, engine casing or whatever else it's attached too as it gets ripped out.

Reply to this Topic
Davchef

Mar 09

Davchef says:

Crash bungs

So in theory crash bungs could cause more damage...

i've had  two minor slips off before on my current sv, one was a lowside on black ice and i just cracked the left hand side fairing and indicator and i thought maybe crash bungs could of helped on that, my second i hit a pot hole and got sent over the handlebars and the bike nose planed before falling on its side

would crash bungs have helped with this type of fall? both those incidents were at under 10mph!

i only ask as i think crash bungs dont make the bike lookgood, and they have to drill through the plastics and change the radiator or air coolant box... alot of work and potientially unneccessary if they dont really help with realistic public highways off's

what about crash mushrooms are they better or worse that crash bungs??

http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/section/offers/special_offers/intro.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Morris147

Dec 09

Morris147 says:

do it

wether it looks good or not it beats scratched/cracked pannels.im going to fit my r&g's to my gsxr400.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

The R&G's I had ripped themselves out of the engine mountings!:shock:

Ok, I did hit the deck at 130 mph......:blink::biggrin:

They will save the plastics in a low speed spill.... But higher speeds, can end up with more damage being caused in some cases.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Damned if you do,damned if you don't

Positives and negatives both apply,as previously mentioned.  Generally pretty good if you only topple over,but catch them on something solid while sliding,game over.  This all depends on circumstances of course,but up to now I've seen 3 bikes written off by crash bungs snagging on something,thus breaking either frames or engine cases.

Personally,I'd do without,but each to their own.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

yet again!

I wonder if I've become anonymous for a reason,or have I just become a secret agent?.  Oh!,I'm me again,PHEW!

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

The cheap ebay ones

are not always a bad idea. In a low speed spill, they offer some protection against fairing damage. Yes, they fasten to the fairing brackets, and they bend, but those can be replaced.

No crash bungs are going to save it at high speed.

Reply to this Topic
madasaskaven

Nov 09

madasaskaven says:

R and G crash bungs - are they worth it??

I bought some R &G crash bungs for my GSX650F and they cost me £170 fitted. They weren't the cheapest but came with the correct fittings. And there was no need to effect my fairings. I feel a lot happier now they are on, as I'm worrid that I'm more likley to drop it when moving it about in the garage

Mick

Reply to this Topic
stevepurcell

May 07

stevepurcell says:

got

R&G on my gixer but never had to use them,but i did on my fireblade and they saved the panels :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices