You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > RAC/ACU training

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

RAC/ACU training

Anyone else do one of these courses back in the 70's?

Fond memories of my early days on two-wheels. I can remember getting the certificate and because I'd done it on my moped, so I would be fully prep'd to pass my full bike licence ASAP once I was 17, it was marked as a 'moped' version, which I was very disappointed about at the time :upset:

Helped me get a discount on my insurance even so.

Apparently the scheme got absorbed into the BMF in the early 80's...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (04 August 2009 16:41)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littleredrooster

Aug 02

RAC/ACU

Yup - I used to be one of the instructors back in 1972. Happy days - it's where I met the missus; we offered a money-back guarantee to pupils - she was the only one ever that we couldn't even get to ride a pushbike (still can't!) She got a refund, but returned to 'help out' with the tea and biscuits.

Reply to this Topic
jelena7

Mar 10

jelena7 says:

RAC/ACU

:smile I did the course at Middlemoor police stn in 1977 - excellent training, happy days

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

The Badge!

Yeah, Surveyor, I remember that - I think it was a green shield thing - wonder what happened to mine...

To anyone out there that used to run the course in Stevenage, many thanks to you! :wink:

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

RAC/ACU

Was one of 5 the first to complete a course in Blackpool in mid 60's, [ got 98 score out of 100] and was asked to became a trainee instructor which i didi for two years,

Was run by the Robinson brothers and supported by John Hall Motorcycles, Devonshire road Blackpool.

But then the govnt. changed the motorcycle training and  test, to be very very similar to that taken by RAC/ACU but did not allow that association to train anymore in preparation for the new test.

No doubt newby bikers could benifit from the about 26 hrs training given on many aspects of owning and riding two wheels.

BUT THATS PROGRESS.  All a newby needs now to improve his skills is MONEY

Reply to this Topic
RedMerle

Aug 12

RedMerle says:

Stevenage RAC/ACU

I first learned at the Stevenage course, late in 1980 and gained my prized "Moped Graduate" badge! :lol:  I know I've still got it somewhere and (the day that I find it) it's going to go back on my jacket :wink:

I had only ever intended to use a moped until I was 17, but I thought I'd at least do it right and get trained. 

It's entirely down to them that I'm still riding proper bikes 32 years later, with a completely accident free record :smile  I still use what I learned on that scheme every time I ride. Thank you for Yvonne and the team for really inspiring instruction!

I even went back to help instruct there from around 1985 to 1987 and miss the fact that it's simply no longer possible for dedicated amateurs to teach (and inspire) about bikes and their maintenance, without the need for professionals to teach party tricks to pass multiple tests.

I know that your post was a long time ago but, if you ever come back to this thread, I'd be really interested to know when you were on the course.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices