Skip to content

Discuss This Cops get young offenders into bikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cops get young offenders into bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Cops get young offenders into bikes

A forward-thinking police officer has started a scheme in Barnet, London, to give young offenders an alternative to crime. Operation ‘Kick Start’ gives youths workshop training with the aim of helping them get careers as bike mechanics. The scheme, started by PC Peter Taylor, has been running for about four weeks in partnership with a local garage (ILM), Southgate College and Barnet...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 August 2009 11:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Lock up your bikes in N London

these guys will be looking for spares soon:ph43r:

Understand the logic here but always been bitter on this type of initiative since I was 17, and all the local scrotes were taken to the banger racing and allowed to do up / drive cars by plod. Me & a mate went to the cop shop and aksed if we could play with the cars, but we weren't allowed to as no criminal record.. Thought of stealing a car to get on the scheme but common sense prevailled..

Not sure this is the best message for non offending youths who want a trade...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

Can't believe the police have convinced any reputable workshop in get involved with this. Make sure you don't take your bike there. Easy enough for the little shits to get the owners address of any bike in for service and there's enough thieving bastards working in the trade as it is.

Reply to this Topic
Nephilius

Jan 09

Nephilius says:

Well, Cornbeef, thank god we're not all as reactionary as you. I think it's good this copper is making the effort a. to get kids a trade, and off the street, and b. that it's bike related. I understand your concerns, in a daily mail sort of way, but you've got to give people a chance, or there isn't really much hope for society...

Reply to this Topic
antimagneto

Jun 09

antimagneto says:

I agree. We have given some form of work experience to lads who have had unblievable home lives. To get them into the honourable pleasure of motorcycling can only do good, in the best definition of the term. Scrotes should be, well I can't say, but some lads (and girls) merit a break. I hope the present government start to value biking - seeing beyond the next election with concience would be quite some achievement.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

hmmm...

it seems like a good idea to give them a 'kick start' in life, and i'm sure there will be a good few of them whoturn themselves around and make something of themselves, but then there'll always be the ones who just can't seem to get out of being criminals because it's the easy way out of a situation. even easier now they'll be learning how bikes work and how best to steal them.

i wish i'd realised i wanted to be a mechanic when i was younger, and not just go out and party. now i've got two kids, one on the way and i'm stuck in a deadend job as a warehouseman. and then these little criminals come along and are just handed my dream career. it sucks.

Reply to this Topic
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

Point taken but I'm not being sensationalist at all. We had a bike dealer, lets just say local to me where one of the mechanics had been doing PDI checks on new bikes and selling the customer details on to some local scum. Only got caught when the plod figured out that all these reported stolen bikes were all brand new, all same make and all bought from the same dealer.
Have to say, the people I've met that have been on this type of scheme are beyond help which is why I'm sceptical. I work in the motorcycle trade and I wouldn't employ them.

Reply to this Topic
deaks25

Apr 09

deaks25 says:

You may well be right Cornbeef76, but at least these kids are being given the chance to change, and surely thats the whole point. I'm all for it, and I'm pretty certain they wouldn't be trusted alone with any important or critical information or work.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle