You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Dorsoduro Tyre Question

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

Dorsoduro Tyre Question

I have an 2009 Dorsoduro which gets very nervous and skippy at the back at decent but not excessive lean angles. I also notice it has no chicken strips - yet the lean angles do not feel that excessive, certainly less than a previous bike on which I had the same tyre and had kept chicken strips. I have been told that this is because the Dorsoduro uses a 180 section Qualifier with a 6" rim and normally 180's go on a 5.5" rim and that moving to a 190/50 would cure it.

However I would prefer to keep a 180 as I don't want to lose the agility of the DD as that's the whole point of it. It's not like it has a lot of power to need a 190.

My question is, are there 180 section tyres that have an eggier profile on which I wont run out of tyre. Ideally something that works well in the wet too as it's unlikely I'll run out of grip in the dry if they tyre is actually on the road?

I was hoping to use something like RoadSmarts next but am now worried they'll have a similar profile to the Qualifiers.

Thanks,
Ian.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 August 2009 11:43)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Pilot Powers

Sorry to bang on about these - if you've ever read any of my other posts... Anyway, they are deffo more angled than say, the Dunlops that I had on previously. They are great in the wet too.

Only down-side is life, which is not great.

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

DD tyre choice

v1nn1e,

That sounds like a "my favourite tyre is ..." rather than an expert opinion of 180 Michelin PP will not ride off the edge on a 6" rim response, doesn't it?

Or am I being unfair? :wink:

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

No, you're not!

Not so sure about rim sizes, so whether a 180 or 190 section, or something else, is correct I couldn't say. But everything else being equal, pound for pound, the pilot powers struck me as having a more triangulated profile than what I had before.

I'll check the rim width on my bike tonight - I changed from an OE fitment 190 to a 180 section and found it an improvement for slow-speed handling. BTW, can you see a strip of unused rubber at the edge of the front? I find on the road I get to the edge of the rear but not the front.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

6 inch rim

My bike has a 6 inch rear rim, and I've not found it a problem with a 180 section.

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

DD tyre choice

Cool thanks for looking. So maybe I can stick with a 180

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN