You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Rider Faults

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Gurmit731

Jun 09

Gurmit731 says:

Rider Faults

I passed my mod 2 on tuesday with 5 minor faults.
1 for moving away safely. 2 for steering (control). 1 for following distance ( the hare and the tortoise?). 1 turning right (junctions).
I have just bought a second hand XJ 600N, any tips on how to clear up these riding issues?
Thanks in advance.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 August 2009 19:39)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Following distance is easy

Use the 2 second rule. As the back of the vehicle in front of you passes a fixed 'marker' - lampost, overbanding, bridge, shadow etc. start to say to yourself "Am I too close to him". If you pass the marker before you've finished saying it - then your too close to him!

Regarding the other issues, can you give any more details about what the examiner said you were doing wrong?

Reply to this Topic
Gurmit731

Jun 09

Gurmit731 says:

"You ride like a girl"

My examiner didn't say anything, he just handed me the report. However, my instructor said that I ride like a girl.
To which I replied " tell my insurance company that."
I tend to leave a large gap between me and the vehicle in front; I just don't trust them. I have heard of people ramming their brakes on suddenly hoping for an insurance payout.
To be honest if I had been the examiner I wouldn't have passed me.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

How helpful!

You're instructor was clearly trying to communicate some important motorcycling truths to you with his comment, unfortunately quite what they were we'll never know! :biggrin: I wonder what some of the female bikers on this forum would make of it!

Anyway, all I can say is that you passed so the examiner judged you to be sufficiently safe to be out on the road on you own, so don't beat yourself up too badly. Apart from just getting out there and getting some miles under your belt, I would try booking on a police Bikesafe course and see what they say about your riding.

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Bikesafe I agree

You cant do better the course is great, I learnt a lot, and feel much safer. The ride out with the cop is something else. Just enjoy.DD:smiley:

Reply to this Topic
smilerboy2008

May 09

Well done for passing

If i have to stop when im turning right, i usualy angle the bike (slightly) into the road your turing onto, it makes it less of a sharp angle and at can stop cars from trying to sqeeze up the lefthand side.

Regarding the distance thing, i usual think ; could i stop if the car slams on the brakes or is there somewhere to go to avoid hitting it. If the answer is no, keep back!

As far as moving away safely, never forget your life saver, keep it simple and relax. Try to get into the road in a smooth line at steady speed. Thats the kinda thing that will come when you've got some miles under your belt.

Ive been riding for 12 years and i did an enhanced rider scheme. It gave me some good reminders and some very useful tips. It was good to get an experts opinion too.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices