Skip to content

Ask an Expert SV1000 grinding noise on slow down Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > SV1000 grinding noise on slow down

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RichieLH

Feb 08

RichieLH says:

SV1000 grinding noise on slow down

HELP!!  I have a 2004 SV1000, it has recently started to make a strange and expensive sounding noise.  If I accelerate hard then come off the throttle there is the sound of metal grinding somewhere down by my left foot.  The same occurs if I come down through the gearbox and the revs are kept up etc.  It seems worse when the engine is cold.

I've done about 15000 miles on it and generally kept iot in good nick!

Any ideas?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 August 2009 13:41)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

grinding noise

Can only suggest checking the oil level and the chain and sprockets,if their ok it sounds expensive.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
RichieLH

Feb 08

RichieLH says:

Grinding noise

Yeah I thought about the engine oil and it was low, but still within the lines.  I topped it up anyhow but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Not sure how to check the sprockets etc.  If it's not that is it going to be the gearbox or clutch or something scary like that?

BTW I should have said it's fine on acceleration, just when you come off the throttle that it makes the noise.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

SUZUKI SV 1000 2004

Hi Richie

With you saying the noise is coming from the left by your foot.The first thing that comes to mind is the drive sprocket and its case.The case has on its inside a metal plate sandwiching a rubber damper and deadening plate.This may have come loose,or the drive sprocket nut has backed off?.Also check the chain is not rubbing in there as well.I know you say its at your left foot,but sometimes sounds are not where you think they are.So check your rear brake pads are not on the metal.Good Luck

K.C.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
RichieLH

Feb 08

RichieLH says:

Grinding

Cheers kcmc, I wondered about the brakes and checked that, but they are fine, it is a much more mechanical rotating kind of noise.  I think it's by my left foot somewhere?!

Reply to this Topic
RichieLH

Feb 08

RichieLH says:

Grinding

Cheers kcmc, I wondered about the brakes and checked that, but they are fine, it is a much more mechanical rotating kind of noise.  I think it's by my left foot somewhere?!

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Remove

Front sprocket case and check in there!!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

grinding

I had this issue with a GSXR400 years and years ago.

It turned out to be the gearbox output shaft (the shatf the gearbox sprocket sits on) bearing had failed. I could move the sprocket backwards and forwards by hand.

Reply to this Topic
RichieLH

Feb 08

RichieLH says:

Expensive grinding

Cheers, that sounds like the sort of thing that would do it, I guessed under acceleration the chain would tension more and as I come off the throttle loose stuff will wobble about!  I'll have a look and let y'all know. 

Thanks everyone.

Reply to this Topic
RichieLH

Feb 08

RichieLH says:

Grinding update!

Hi, I have worked out that if you pull the clutch in the grinding noise stops!  Am having a good look this weekend

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices