Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati offer Jorge Lorenzo £13m bumper pay deal MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati offer Jorge Lorenzo £13m bumper pay deal

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati offer Jorge Lorenzo £13m bumper pay deal

Ducati has made Jorge Lorenzo a lucrative multi-million pound offer to quit Yamaha.Desperate to sign a top rider while the future of Casey Stoner remains the subject of intense speculation, Marlboro has offered the 22-year-old a bumper £13m two-year deal. MCN understands Lorenzo had further talks with Phillip Morris executives in Brno on Sunday night, though the Spaniard insists his first...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (18 August 2009 11:01)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
travis73

Jun 07

travis73 says:

WTF..?

You people can read yeh...??? Ducati havent offered him squat, other than a bike.... Phillip Morris have put up the cash.

And where is there a mention of a rift. You guys spend too much time reading The Sun and News of the World. Serioulsy.... There is an issue with the media in this country and the people who think they can read.

But if it happens.... I'd love to see Jorge on a Duke. I dont think he has the combination of corner speed & balls out style of Casey to tame it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
GPTrust

Aug 09

GPTrust says:

Lorenzo

Any racer worth his salt will go for the best chance to win the title. Jorge is a smart cookie and will stick with Yamaha. Facts are this. 1. Rossi/Burgess is the best development team in the business ever. 2. Yamaha will spend whatever it takes is best for Rossi & Jorge and is not fiscally limited like Ducati. 3. Rossi will retire soon, Lorenzo will take over the #1 spot at Yamaha (if he stays) and the title will be his! (personally, I think if he stays at Yamaha, 2010 will be his year, Best bike, coming into his prime, Rossi getting older!) 4. If Jorge goes to Ducati his clout will go way down, Stoner, Rossi, Pedrosa, Simocelli will smoke him, Ben Spies will have the Fiat Ride in 2011 or 2012., title chances over for Jorge! 5. The title will bring the money he wants, but all the money cannot buy the title!! P.S. MotoGP is a business and Ducati,s most valuable market is America, Hayden will get the Duc on the box steady if he gets the chance he is a great rep for any company and is boosting Ducati sales on both sides of the pond!

Reply to this Topic
colski

Mar 03

colski says:

Lorenzo Yam & the Duke

Just my opinion but I reckon Lorenzo would struggle on the Ducati.

For sure Lorenzo asking or wanting as much cash as he can get to ride is fine but if it wasn't for Rossi and his crew, Yamaha wouldn't be the bike it is and Lorenzo would have been chasing the Honda dream.

If he thinks he's that good he should go to Suzuki and turn them into champions.

I like Lorenzo's edge and confidence but if he goes to Ducati he'll never be a champion.

Reply to this Topic
rotatingmass

Jun 09

rotatingmass says:

show me the money

Well, it looks like Jorge will take the money and run. If he sucks on the Ducati like Hayden & Melandi then he still makes a bundle. Instead of the lollipop that use to be in his mouth I wonder if it will be replaced with a Marlboro.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Madness

How on earth could Lorenzo possibly leave that ride? The Yamaha he's stradling is pretty damn handy too!

Reply to this Topic
kauriboy

Jun 09

kauriboy says:

The silliest season yet !

If one looks at Ducati's statements just over the last week or so it all seems a bit silly. On the one hand they expect Stoner back in 3 races. On the other, they hope Hayden stays with the team ( paycut ? ) - on yet another, they are disappointed that Alvaro Bautista ( infamous Aprilia destroyer ) has apparently gone off to Suzuki ( why ? ) and on yet another - they are supposedly offering a fabulous amount of MARLBORO/PHILIP MORRIS money ( not Ducati dough ) to Jorge Lorenzo, who would have to have rocks in his head as this road could lead him to the same destination as Melandri & Hayden - i.e. nowhere. So, how's all that for a contradictory mess? One trusts that MCN and Matthew Birt are not having yet another lend of and wind-up of us here? This has to be the silliest silly season yet. Allow me to hazard a wild guess as to what is really going on longer-term: After 2010 EVERYTHING swings around Rossi. Barring catastrophe, he will win again for 2009. In 2011 he will be 32+ and will looking for a fresh challenge - or, Championship. Hence, all this jockeying and positioning for what is really insurance in 2011. A couple of random facts to also consider. Spies has already had a couple of outings in GP. Nothing wonderful. Leon Camier in BSB and Spies in WSBK are BOTH using the very latest traction control software as used by Rossi on the M1. This costs 250,000+ Euros - making their bikes 1 Million pound machines. It is hardly surprising they are dominating, yes? Both Rossi and Stoner are peeved and frustrated with new rule changes on tyres and engines to try and reduce Moto GP costs. Rossi has dropped heavy hints ( not taken up by the media ) that he wouldn't mind a crack at WSBK . Seeing as the two Series are technically ever moving closer, it may not turn out to be as silly as it all sounds. Over to you ...

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Vale stays in MotoGP until?

.....the jobs done. That means 21 more victories.

Reply to this Topic
kauriboy

Jun 09

kauriboy says:

More ...

Sorry, should have made myself clearer by adding a few points ... Rossi is already contracted by Yamaha through until the end of the 2010 season. Hence, the relevance of what HE decides and who ends up where for 2011. The later rules brought in by Dorna about tyres and engines( what geniuses they are ) also say that a " rookie " cannot go directly into a Factory team - only a " Satellite " one. If this is the case - WTF - insofar as Bautista and Suzuki is concerned ? This, of course, also impacts on Spies, IF he was on the move up. He couldn't go into the Fiat/Yamaha factory team and would have to go into Tech 3 or another Yamaha- supplied outfit. Moto GP is supposed to be a " prototype " Series - while WSBK is supposedly a much more basic, street machine-derived one and thereby cheaper option for enytrants. Again, what are super-expensive and sophisticated electronics ( as previously described ) doing there ? Then look at WSS 600cc and 600cc four stroke powered Moto 2 replacing pukka two stroke GP machines - and the picture gets muddier and muddier ...

Reply to this Topic
wpotter

Mar 06

wpotter says:

kauriboy

Bautista can go to Suzuki as they do not have a satellite team. If Kawasaki (Hayate) were racing next year they could also pick any rider.

Yamaha haven't signed any Tech 3 riders in case Lorenzo jumps ship and they need to put Edwards/Toseland/existing motoGP rider on the Fiat to bring Spies into Tech 3 for factory ride in 2011 - they want to be winning the championship for years to come....

Reply to this Topic
kauriboy

Jun 09

kauriboy says:

Duhhh ....

Thanks, wpotter - exactly correct. Thanks for that. I have the ' flu ( oink, oink - hope not ) feel like shit and am all over the place today. Better pull my head in and shut-up now, eh? One last comment. though: watched the GP last week-end, and, for me, it really lacked something - apart from our man, Jorge chucking it up the road. Much as lots of people knock him - racing needs Stoner in there on the red bike to shake things up. CU

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices