Skip to content

Discuss This Blog: Epic Ulster Grand Prix TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Blog: Epic Ulster Grand Prix

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

Blog: Epic Ulster Grand Prix

What an epic Ulster Grand Prix. I’m just so glad I was able to get there on Saturday to witness what turned out to be a day packed with thrilling races. I was gutted to have missed out on being able to say I was there on the day Conor Cummins clocked that  incredible 133mph lap in the Dundrod 150 but...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (19 August 2009 09:36)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jamierob

Feb 09

jamierob says:

UGP

I agree entirely the UGP was absolutly awesome this year and the highlights are on BBC N.I. on Thursday 20th August at 10.30pm (I think)

Reply to this Topic
msmyth

Aug 09

msmyth says:

The Ulster and MCN

About time we've got a reasonably accurate picture of some of the finest racing in the world.When did you last see Moto GP with 5 or 6 riders battling a complete race distance at over 130 mph?When did MCN last give race and lap speeds in their Moto GP reports? The Ulster is not held on country lanes and the surface is better than some BSB tracks. Maybe now MCN will see fit to include some reports of the Irish National road race scene and extend its coverage from Moto GP, WSB and BSB.Hopefully G Pinchin will not wait another 20 years before his next visit.

Reply to this Topic
cfoggy

Aug 02

cfoggy says:

Best racing ever

I have been going to the UGP for many years and last Saturday was the best one ever, Very close racing and it was better than seeing a Rossi, Lorenzo,Stoner and Pedrosa in a four bike fight to the line. (something we have yet to see). Also it was good to see Carl Fogarty on the circuit again. 

Roll on next year.

Reply to this Topic
rodeo man

Jan 08

rodeo man says:

Ulster GP Brilliant!

Decided this year to go watch the famous Ulster GP.Travelled very early friday night /saturday morning to catch ferry from Stranraer to Belfast,weather was torrential rain.Got onto ferry, tried to dry out hoping it would be dry in Northern Ireland but alas rain had followed me over.Rode up to circuit, by this time I was wet right thru' but decided to walk paddock, seen Michael Dunlop,GuyMartin and a few others.Then believe it or not rain stopped and sun came out.The next couple of hours I witnessed some of the best road racing ever.The previous 12 hours of misery was forgotten and worth every rain sodden mile.If you only goto one race meeting next year make sure it's the Ulster GP, you will not be disappointed.

PS Hutchy is without doubt the best road racer in the world just now.

Reply to this Topic
suzukimad

Feb 09

suzukimad says:

ULSTER G P

Great racing best U G P in a long time, as usual Flyin Ryan dident let down the home crowd, yet  another  two wins  two seconds and a sixth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpH4rS2IS0o

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

UGP No 1

For me, it beats the NW and TT, and all other road races - thats why it was on the GP circuit in the 70s - its such a fantastic track (er, road).   You can get your elbows on the road lying in the bushes, and watch the bikes come towards you - yes your f***ed if they have an off, but that all adds to the massive adrenaline rush you get when 3 come past line abreast at 160 up the road to Budore.  Stephen Davison recommends Budore as "it wll blow your mind" in one of his books, and in 03 when the sun was splitting the stones,  it was the best road race I ever attended.  I remember well Martin Finnegan giving a big wave to the two of us lying in the hedge, elbows on road, on his slowing down lap,  but I think Martin was waving to my pretty companion that day.   I'll have that memory for ever - my girlfriend was living in new zealand at the time, and was cheering on Anstey, who was on blistering form that day.

As mentioned,  if you only ever attend one race before you die,  make it the UGP - you'll not be disappointed, and you will remember it for the rest of your days.   Its the only one I look forward to all year, and get excited as it gets closer.  Make a week of it, so you can watch the dundrod 150,  which is basically the UGP but run on a Thursday - same circuit.   You'll get more freedom to ramble from hedge to hedge between races with your carry out and a mini barbeque, as its more relaxed - but mindblowing all the same.

I'll have to start some lobbying for the NI govt to put some money into it, and try and get a campaign going - as they did for the north west, and look how massive that is now - 150k people attend,  and its now a week long festival, and massive pissup, but it does have the nightlife of portrush.  Mind you,  belfast is only a few miles away from dundrod,  so its a good chance to go and check out the nightlife there - its pretty mad now, and lots of variety.

Long live road racing!!    By the way, there are some fantastic shots of Ray McCullough tearing round Dundrod cranked right over on a 350 with utterly crap tyres,  in one of Stephen's great books, with a contrasting photo of Adrian Archibald or Flyin Ryan at exactly the same spot 30 years later.  McCullough kicked everyones ass, including Joeys (I remember Joey being interviewed about a great race he'd had and his only comment was "That man McCullough..."), but he never travelled overseas - he had some phobia about planes and boats, but is the unsung hero of true road racing.   I remember watching him as a kid tearing round with Joey and Tom Herron.  Blew me away, and I can still smell that two stroke oil!  He was the master.   You get the odd interview with him usually around NW and UGP time.   Worth trying to find out a bit about him  if you've never heard of him.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices