Skip to content

Discuss This Biker denies 166mph charge General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Biker denies 166mph charge

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Biker denies 166mph charge

A motorcyclist has denied speeding at 166mph on a Suzuki GSX-R1000. Neil Purves, 27, is accused of reaching the speed on the Dolphinton Straight of the A702, a 60mph road in the Scottish Borders, on May 13. Lothian and Borders Police inspector Richard Latto said it was the fastest speed ever recorded on the region’s roads. Purves, from Cockburnspath, Berwickshire, denied...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (21 August 2009 14:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
290mph600

Jul 08

290mph600 says:

Is he guilty then?

Reply to this Topic
Djfudds

Apr 09

Djfudds says:

do they know it ws 166 mph or dont they.. surely if they know it was him and they have the speed recorded hes guilty as accused.. so how can he plead not guilty.. looks to me like if they have the evidence hes going down for a bit, and off the road on a bike for a very long time. probably have to retake his test...

unless ofc they dont know exactly.. ie caught of a mobile speed trap and they didnt get his plate or a front faceing fixed camera so they only have his discription and no plate.. 

innocent till proven guilty i suppose.. goodluck neil but silly speed on a A road but we all have a rush of blood from time to time, but..... a 166mph rush of blood, Ooof

Reply to this Topic
Duke600

Apr 07

Duke600 says:

166 mph!

Spot on with the timing mate... MCN are trying to persuade North Wales that bikers are not all leather-clad, brainless, anti-social, speed-obsessed morons - then we get (yet another) headline of a ridiculous speed on a public road. Another nail in the coffin for motorcycling - doh! Begs the question whether fox-hunting, mass murder or riding a motorcycle will end up as the least socially acceptable pass-time. Come on folks, save the silly speeds, wheelies, megaphone exhausts e.t.c for TRACK DAYS!!! Obviously +/- 10% innocent until proven guilty e.t.c. ... it may only have been 150 or 149 :-)

Reply to this Topic
dowdy .p

Aug 08

dowdy .p says:

166 mph

166 mph pah is that all keep up the good work lol

Reply to this Topic
sallison30

Mar 08

sallison30 says:

The problem is, stRickly that speed limits are bollocks. We are all intelligent enough to match our speed to the conditions. On that stretch of road at the time it was almost certainly safe and he didn't crash. All of you Ivory tower bikers that are so concerned for all other road users need to understand that when we do those speeds that we are looking 2 miles ahead and watching for any movement on the sides of the road. Let's not forget that a Gixxer will go from 160 to a standstill in next to no time with one finger on the brake lever. I know it's illegal, that's not my argument and if I get caught I'll be in the shit but I certainly won't have endangered you, your family or anyone else.

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

Sadly

Thing is Sallison30 that a lot of riders aren't intelligent enough to match their speed to the conditions. Going too fast for the conditions provides more casualties than exceeding the posted limit... And however good the brakes are it's the rider controlling them that makes the difference. Sunny sunday only riders tend not to have the skill or experience to use the brakes to thier full potential.

At 160 mph you're doing just over 75 metres per second, average reaction times are around half a second by which time you've already gone 37 odd meters toward whatevers pulled out into your path and that's before you even start braking or whatever. That's quite a long way...

Reply to this Topic
290mph600

Jul 08

290mph600 says:

I think it would be in the public interest for the evidence to be put into the public domain. The culture of lying and falsifying evidence by VASCAR operators is unacceptable and should be addressed by an authority, then if VASCAR readings are falsified at least some of them can be overturned (after analysis). I would suggest that Neil Purves insists that the evidence is produced before his court appearance, then at least he may be able to explain how the reading has been falsified. As is so often the case, he is unfortunately not innocent until proven guilty.

Reply to this Topic
eyebrowler

Jul 09

eyebrowler says:

Land Speed Record Attempt

With the planets oil reserves estimated at lasting only another 20+ years, one might argue that we should make the most of it while we can.

Interesting to know whether or not that speed was into a headwind or not.

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

enjoy it then flog it!

Enjoy the last of the summer mate, then sign the bike over to a mate so the bastards can't crush it, as they will if you're convicted.   166 isnt pushing it THAT much for a gsxr !  Good luck mate,  and try and save up for a good brief, as that will be your best option.  

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

PS

For Ikonoklast

As for restriction to a 125,  he would probably tune the bollocks off it and  have a whale of a time :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle