You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > ERS or IAM

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

markymark63

Aug 09

markymark63 says:

ERS or IAM

I am looking at doing further training and was wondering which would be the better training to do, the ERS or the IAM.

Any input would be appreciated

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (25 August 2009 09:41)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
plainsimple

Oct 08

plainsimple says:

IAM

I can only recommend the IAM since that's what I did recently. The greatest advantage of IAM as I see it now is the social aspect of it. Once you become a full (green badge) member, things do not end there. You can still attend the regular monthly meetings, take part in social rides and meet lots of like minded people.

Find your local IAMs group and attend one of their meetings. It will be completely free and you'll get an observer for the day to assess your riding. If you don't like any of the experience, you are free to leave.

... I bet you'll join though :sunglasses: 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Value for money

Look at the amount of training you get for IAM and ERS, then look at the cost.

ERS is grossly over priced in comparison in my opinion.

If there's no IAM group nearby try ROSPA.

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

The IAM

Very nice bunch of folks, but they are to advanced riding what the St. Johns ambulance brigade are to the paramedic service.

I had a huge rough with a friend of mine who is an IAM observer over this, and he challenged me to do the IAM test without any training, which I did, and passed.

It's not rocket science depite all the mystique the IAM like to shroud it with.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Hmmm

Broken neck? Ouch.... I'm sorry to hear that.

Minor burn?! I'm on my way! Don't panic, you'll live!

/stereotyping mode.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Paramedics?

Very nice bunch of folks, but they are to advanced riding what the St. Johns ambulance brigade are to the paramedic service

Gizza - so who are the paramedics of advanced riding?

Reply to this Topic
markymark63

Aug 09

markymark63 says:

IAM

I went to Brands Hatch last night and have signed up to do the IAm with the Kent Advanced Motorcycle Group.

Everyone that i spoke to seemed friendly and chatty. It seems it may be worth doing even if only for the social side.

Many thanks with your answers chaps.

Reply to this Topic
smilerboy2008

May 09

I did the ERS

in May and i'd recommend it. I looked at IAM and ROSPA but they seemed a bit too involved ie. joining a club and having lessons.

I just wanted to get an experts opinion on my riding, advice on a few things i wasnt so good at and habits i have picked up over the years. It was tailored to suit me and it made me think more about what im doing and whats going on around me. The instruction was relaxed and friendly with more time on the road than in the classroom. After the assessment i went home very happy, more confident and more aware. Money well spent i'd say:smile

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

I would recommend...

NEITHER of them.

If you feel you have something to prove then go to college and do a course which will improve your job/prospects and ensure a more comfortable life.

If you feel you lack the skills to ride a bike then attend an 'off-road' riding course to learn how to properly control a vehicle in the most challenging conditions.

The IAM/ERS will only ruin any enjoyment you get from riding and turn you into a want to be Police Officer who feels massively over competent/invincible and likes to view all other road users as incompetent and so obviously not IAM/ERS trained.

I've been out with IAM trainers/riders as part of club riding and they are fun people to watch and pick up pointers from but I sure as hell would never like to take my riding to such a boring and over analysed level as they have. I don't want to be scared shitless every time I go out on the road and I wish to learn directly from my own simple errors. No amount of training will EVER compensate for some other twats actions.

Some people are just naturals where as others like some guidance and some help. I suppose I fall into the first category. If you are in the second then I would recommend the IAM out of the two choices as it is far better run and most areas have a local mob which saves riding miles and miles just to get there plus a side line is that you become part of a club rather than a member of a group that wants to extort lots of money out your pocket at every turn.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Little mistakes

Turn into big accidents on a bike.

The idea of advanced training is to educate you how to not make those "little mistakes" in the first place by teaching you the lessons already learned the hard way by previous generations. The idea is to slow you down, make you see where you can safely ride quickly and where you can't. I do agree with the off-road thing though, it's something I really would like to get round to.

No offence to you and I'm sure you've probably been riding longer than me but calling yourself a "natural" just smacks over the kind of over confidence and possibly arrogance which gets people killed.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Well...

I could come in and try to attack you or slander your position but won't. Everyone is entitled to share their thoughts and mine are that I have very little if anything to gain through being patronised by apparent 'professionals'.

I ride for the conditions and the roads and the traffic and and and.. I already analyse everything that I need to in order to complete most journeys in a timely manner and with maximum pleasure. Adding in some extra stuff to worry about would mean having to sacrafice something.

I tend to find that it does not matter how much of a genius you are you will always fall foul to some other twat.

The best thing anyone can do and many many people will back this up, is to buy the best bike you can afford and buy the best protective equipment you can. Ensure that this is backed up by the best tyres and the best brakes along with having the suspension set to your weight and riding style. Regular maintenance is the first hurdle which should be considered for some expenditure. Understanding how the bike behaves in different conditions and with different styles of riding is bang on the money. All this comes together beautifully for those who don't know any better by attending either the IAM or ERS courses.

I have experience of hundreds of thousands of miles in all weather conditions and on may different roads. Throw in a few accidents and a couple of cheeky convictions and I am most certain that I am up there with the so called ‘pros’.

Not stuck up and I am sure the route would’ve been far easier had I started out with a bit of professional input. I prefer doing things on my own…:doubt:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices