You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > ERS or IAM

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

markymark63

Aug 09

markymark63 says:

ERS or IAM

I am looking at doing further training and was wondering which would be the better training to do, the ERS or the IAM.

Any input would be appreciated

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (25 August 2009 09:41)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Weeelllll....

As I said, no offence was intended - your post just came across with having that air of "I can just do it". I certainly wasn't intending to attack you.

I would say for the vast majority of people advanced training is a benefit and even if you choose to not apply it, you'll probably come away having learnt something important.

Apologies again if I did cause offence as I certainly wasn't accusing you of the kind of 17 year old "I'm so amazing" arrogance but it does seem mad to rule out going on a training course, even if it does only spot one thing you're doing wrong.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Hee hee...

No need to apologise. I am hard skinned... :wink::lol:

I was being a little too opinionated myself there and a it of an ass. Also wondering 'off topic'.

If the OP wishes to advance their skills then I would go the IAM route.

I'm very wary of spending any money on things which I do not regard as of great importance. If someone learns to drive/ride and is not provided with all the tools necessary to reserve their life then there is something wrong at the very start. A lot of people are of the opinion that the driving/riding test is only the beginning but for a vast majority of people it is the beginning of the end, they sit no further training or testing and instead get by on the little knowledge they have.

Rather than making the initial test HARDER the Government should instead have focused on breaking it up and placing it over a number of tests sat and passed after set periods of time and judging skills as they are learned through experience. One such route could have been compulsory attendance of an advanced driving course. :blink:

I've missed these opportunities and instead am now a lost cause... :lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Lol

Good good.

I'm quite aware that my nature means I can come across as having a go at someone when in reality I try to never insult someone personally (unless they're a cock, in which case I just let rip).

I don't think the current training system does properly equip either drivers or riders and your staged idea is probably a good one. Myself I'd actually like to see motorcycle power restrictions throughout the range. My Dad's 600cc had 31bhp... these days you can get 60-100bhp from that. Likewise a restricted bike licence means a person goes from 10ish bhp to 33 and then, when the restrictor comes off, to 70ish bhp. It's a mad leap and an outdated system being mated with the EU "one size fits all" idiot ideals.

THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS DIDN'T WORK ALL THOSE YEARS AGO, TAKE THE BLOODY HINT. WE'RE DIFFERENT AND NEED DIFFERENT LAWS, NOW LAY OFF CUCUMBERS.

I would personally like to see a single test that limited riders to 33bhp - after my 125, I've found 33 gives me ample power to do most things without getting me into trouble. After that, I think another test (ideally more a course with an instructor with a list of competencies ala CBT) should be passed. My opinion is that after 100bhp a different class of licence should be required should the rider have below so many years of experience.

And yes, I think the same should be true of cars.

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

IAM

Bunch of stuck up sanctimonious idiots.

Many of them are control freaks too.

They like to kid themselves that they are in it to promote safer riding, but the truth is that at observer level, they simply like to feel superior to others.

I put this to a Police Rider once and he smiled and agreed.

Apparently their nick name for them is the  "I - AM's.

He added that most of them definitely "R - NOT's":lol:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Green sticker

I have one.

It says "f**kin' shite - keep well clear".

I feel it's best to warn the public.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

It all boils down to...

Collectivism and Individualism (Google em)

I'm an individual and I sure do not buy into collectivism. I will of course look out for fellow man but I will not be guided by his apparent 'wisdom' and instead follow my own which may at times be hard but I get by.

Collectivism was Hitlers biggie remember and New Labia are RIGHT into it!

As for bikes. I passed the DA first time with three minors on the extended test. I had been riding, illegally, a de-restricted Aprilia RS125 with probs 20-30bhp. Bought a ZX6R not long after passing test. Had the bike flat out on the M6 toll road on the way home. Approx 1-2hrs after first riding it! Never looked back. There's bigger bikes out there but they lack a point to me and that point is WHY? Just because you can? Does it make you a bigger man? Generally when I get up behind a 1000cc bike out on the A roads they don't go anywhere any quicker, they drink more fuel, cost more to tax, cost more to begin with, cost more to service............ :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
smilerboy2008

May 09

Yellowninja - I think

further training is a good idea, it seems the easier way to learn. Im not a fan of the hard way because it usualy hurts. Theres alot of idiots out on the roads(bikers included) and we could all do more to try and keep safe. I did the ERS because i wanted to and im glad i did. At the end of the day, it made me think more about what i am doing and whats going on around me which i think is quite important lol. I'd recommend it to anyone:smile.

Why have a 600 if you can have a 1000? thats the question:roll eyes: I ride a GSXR1000 and love it. I dont think im a bigger man although i am 6'3 lol. Each to there own i say. Had a 600, 750 n now a 1000, it made sense to me.

Reply to this Topic
wrinklytoad

Jul 09

wrinklytoad says:

Training

I've had a licence for 48 years, but you're never too old to learn so I tried an IAM 'assessed ride'. I found it useful to identify some faults, though I wasn't happy with the instructor's criticism that I didn't always ride at the maximum speed allowed. Not everyone is a Valentino Rossi, and I didn't do the course for the test because I don't want to be pushed into a riding style that's faster than I'm comfortable with.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

smilerboy2008

I like the 600... Pretty capable machine and more than meets my requirements. I have no issues with the 1000cc machines and I do understand that they are smoother and more progressive etcetera. If you like the litre bike then you like the litre bike, I might get one one day... :wink:

As for training. Probably is far more easier to learn from others. If that's what people wish to do then fair enough. I wouldn't recommend it as that's just me. I've been around the IAM/ERS people and they over analyse everything. I sometimes wonder if they are analysing the jumper I am wearing and trying to decide if it's suitable for biking or not...... :lol:

There are somethings in life I don't want to think about. It's either because ignorance suits me and allows me to think of other things (hot chick on the high street? :blink:) or because the lack of thought for immaterial things allows me to think more clearly about the things that do matter and also allows me to go through my journey without being in a constant state of fear!

I like to be comfortable when out and about. I don't care what I am wearing as long as I am comfortable. People go on and on about kevlar this and kangaroo that as if they make you invincible and it seems to give them a false sense of invinvibility. At the same time though it hits me as someone who is scared sh*tless of having an accident and actually believes that they will through their over protective thoughts. I wear stuff that will offer protection as a sideline to comfort.

Anyway... Getting well of topic and I have a garden to dig... Have fun guys and keep it safe whether you know it's safe or think it's safe... :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

DIGGING???

I do hope you have performed a proper risk assessment and are wearing adequate personal protection.

Do keep in mind the density of the soil (affected by the previous few days rain, air temperature and humidity) and the torque you are putting through your back. Remember, turning motion = force x perpendicular distance from the pivot so you want to be holding the spade at the end for maximum power, although fine control for the mashing of slugs may be better obtained with a lower grip.

:lol:

Edited for spelling.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices