Skip to content

Ask an Expert chain and sprocket help... Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > chain and sprocket help...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cgman

Feb 09

cgman says:

chain and sprocket help...

hi all.

hope you are enjoying the nice weather (what we are getting of it).

i am thinking of getting some new sprockets and a chain for my cg, to try and make it quicker.

i have found a sprocket that has 2 more teeth to go on gearbox end and a sprocket with 2 less teeth rear wheel end, would this work? also, can anyone recommend a type of chain (i.e. o-ring, x-ring or standard)

any help would be appreciated.

keep biking!!!

cgman

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 August 2009 04:51)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kestrel69

Nov 05

kestrel69 says:

????

Would think you might gain about 4/5 MPH increase in top speed but you will lose a lot of your acceleration. The bike would be being asked to pull a much higher gear, bit like trying to pull away in 2nd :unsure:

You would also need to check that the front sprocket will not foul the casings etc in any way

Not something I'd bother with myself :smile

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Does it have a Tacho?

Its only worth doing if you can rev-out beyond the red line in top - otherwise you'll probably end up going slower...

If it doesn't rev that high, then you'll need more power first before changing the gearing.

Reply to this Topic
gsxr884

Aug 09

gsxr884 says:

im with V1nn1e

on this .

Thats a massive change in gearing and it probably will not pull it.

Which model and year is it.

Try getting a Phil Joy cam for it.

It will go a bit then

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

Way too much, a single tooth extra on the front is equivalent to about three less on the rear, so to add two to the front then lose two from the rear will leave you with the most gutless CG around, the theoretical top end would be good but plain and simple, theres not enough power in the motor to get you there, you'd be lucky to pull 45 on an incline.
Try first increasing the front sprocket by one and then two teeth if it seems to want to give more.
You'll also need a longer chain, alternatively you can get a smaller rear, (more expensive) and lose a couple of links.
You can calculate your gear ratio selection and theoretical top speed using the calculations on this page.
Sprocket ratio

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices