You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Pan st1100 clutch problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Gandolan

Sep 09

Gandolan says:

Pan st1100 clutch problem

:wacko:Hi all, please advise if you can.

I have a 1993 pan european with an intermittent clutch problem. I have seen a similar post, but I have already tried what was suggested.

The clutch lever goes soft on frequent gear changes in town and riding the clutch - open road riding no problems.  It gets back as far as the grip, then ends up stalling and cannot get into neutral unless I turn the key off and back on - but lever will not keep the gear disengaged - put in gear jerk forward and stall.  It had had all new fluid - twice now and a new goodridge hose  - seal kit done on it as well.  No fluid loss seen anywhere.  Any ideas?  When not having this issue the bike is great

Cheers

Gan

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 September 2009 23:12)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clutch

Welcome gandolan,Sounds like the fluid is bypassing a seal,Q,when you say seal kit done,where did you put the new seals? 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

HONDA ST 1100 PAN EUROPEAN 1993

Hi Gondolan

As Jaffa says your info is a bit sketchy!!

First,your bike is 16 years old and you don't say what the miles are?.So if you have serviced the master cylinder and the slave cylinder and replaced the fluid and the hydraulic hose to no avail,and you are happy with your work, then the problem must be at the clutch.At 16 years old i think it would need a new set of clutch plates,and would need the hole clutch(basket inner and outer and all parts connected) checking and measuring for wear.The clutch springs may now be very weak and effected by heat build up in the engine when it town or traffic.Also the clutch push rod and its bearing could be worn.Good Luck

K.C.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Gandolan

Sep 09

Gandolan says:

Clutch

Many thanks

Sorry I did not be more clear - first time describing the issue, in words, without someone asking questions to prompt

The seal kit was done by the garage I bought it from - I believe it was small sela/slave seals?

The Bike has only done 35000 miles - but is obviously old.  The hose was done by Pidcocks in Nottingham.  As you can tell, not very up on mechanics - I make a 5 minute job last 5 hours and then have to get someone else to do it :unsure:  so I do not try and sort things myself, like this.

I was at the Wozwolf bike rally this weekend and a couple of different people suggested it might be weak springs as well. 

Could you advise - if changing the springs, is thta a big job - ie whole clutch out?  in which case is it worth me considering changing the whole clutch set up, etc? dependant on cost of course

your advise is very much appreciated

Gan

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Gan

hi

To replace the clutch springs is not a hard job.Remove the three 8mm bolts holding the slave cylinder on,remove the s/cyl with hydraulic hose still attached(DO NOT PULL CLUTCH LEVER).Remove the ring of twenty 8mm bolts holding the clutch case on(try to remove without tearing the gasket or you will need to replace that to)Remove case,to expose the clutch,you will see a ring of 8 or 10mm bolts five in all holding the plate that holds the springs in place.Unbolt the bolts evenly as you go until undone,the remove and replace with your new springs reverse this procedure to rebuild.But i think it would be a better idea to replace the clutch fibre plates while you have it apart,if you do soak them in oil over night.Good Luck.

K.C.:tongue: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Gandolan

Sep 09

Gandolan says:

:biggrin: Many thanks

I will give it a try

Being as I am as practical as a chocolate teapot - I think i will be a regular crier of help here!

Thank you

Gan

Reply to this Topic
jvr7

Sep 11

jvr7 says:

Hi Gan
Did you get this issue fixed by replacing the plates and springs?
I have the same issue and was wondering how you got on all those years ago.
Cheers

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hi Jvr7

And welcome to the site:smile

I think you maybe waiting a long time to get any info off Gandolan,as he hasn't posted for a year now.Think he must have sorted the problem shortly after this post as he was still using the Pan and still posting on the site for another year about riding trouble free on the Pan.But didn't come back to tell of the fix or repair.You could always try PM him just click on his name.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices