Skip to content

Ask an Expert Module 1, Ipswich. Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Module 1, Ipswich.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ikonoklast

Jun 09

Ikonoklast says:

Module 1, Ipswich.

I want to address this Module 1 fiasco.

I took it and passed first time this morning. I have defended the test and still do.

A lot of people are commenting that it's dangerous and whatnot, but let me tell you - it's really really simple. The 'swerve' is the equivalent to avoiding an icy manhole cover on an EMPTY, MASSIVE road. It's not even really a swerve more of a gentle lean, and you have ages to brake in the box. The emergency stop is even easier. I got up to speed quite comfortably first time on each.

I got only 3 minors - all for observations. Yes, i agree that parts of the test are ridiculously stupid, like having to look in a locked compound - but if the test is too difficult for you you really need to get more training. The guy my instructor and i rode to the TC with was really really nervous - he looked like he was gonna be sick, yet passed with no minors.

Come on people - it's not dangerous - it's common and general bike control. Yes the test is so illogical the mind boggles, but just because it's stupid doesn't give excuses to people who can't handle their bikes.

With good instruction everyone should be able to pass this test.

Oh, and to the people that say they should be able to take either module first;

The first module is to test your control of the machine so you can prove you're safe to be on a road. The second module is to prove you're safe when you get there.

How can you expect to negotiate a tight mini-roundabout if you can't perform a huge u-turn? How can you have any chance of avoiding dangerous road users if you can't dodge a cone? How can you turn left then right, or right then left, at multiple mini-roundabouts, safely if you can't negotiate cones doing the same manoeuver?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (02 September 2009 15:10)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

The bike learner process

My beef is with the inconsistencies and awkward complexities, e.g.

Splitting off-road machine control testing between CBT and Mod 1.

Differentiating between 75-125cc bikes of 11kw that can't do 100kph and 120-125cc bikes of 11kw that can... what the heck !!!!!!!

The whole thing strikes me as a messy designed-by-committee EU compromise that needs a thorough overhaul.

Reply to this Topic
Ikonoklast

Jun 09

Ikonoklast says:

Yes...

I agree the DSAand their testing routines are absolutely pathetic. They make sense to real riding in some areas, but on the whole it's completely hit and miss. My point was, however stupid and pointless their tests are, a good rider should be able to pass it. Do you  not agree?

Reply to this Topic
Gurmit731

Jun 09

Gurmit731 says:

Mod 1

I passed my test first time, but my beef still remains, namely the cost. Why not have three attempts for the price? All you need is an off day and your digging into your pocket again. And if you are using a training school that can add up: cost of bike hire, the pre test lesson.
Ride Long and Prosper!

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Very probably

I am not 100% on exactly what is in the tests. Infact, that is one issue I have in that it is hard to get an exact 'syllabus' of what is required to be learnt - there are summary overviews on the DSA web-site and elsewhere but not much detail.

Even so, yes, a competent rider should be able to pass.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices