Skip to content

Discuss This Video: £1500 adventure bike challenge - part 1 First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: £1500 adventure bike challenge - part 1

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: £1500 adventure bike challenge - part 1

In the latest MCN Challenge we're going to prove that you don't have to spend a fortune to get your hands on a great adventure bike. With a £1500 budget burning a hole in their pockets, MCN's road testers have scoured MCN Bikes For Sale and found three (slightly questionable) examples.   Watch part 2 of the challenge - the road trip Over the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (10 September 2009 11:25)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ackers

Feb 09

ackers says:

Wrong Choice!!!

And I vote for....................................................................oh wait a minute.........................................they havent got a Cagiva Elefant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big mistake - missed out on a lot of fun.

They will have to put up with all those tame Jap bikes.

At least they will be similar and the Africa Twin will wheeze it's way to the front of the three asthmatic amigos.

Me? I'll be having an adventure on my Fant.

Reply to this Topic
ChrisNewbigging

Jun 06

Elefant for £1500...

An Elefant was looked at in the buying process - but in the buying window our chaps had, the only one within budget would have rivalled Trev's bike in the clapped-out stakes. A decent Lucky Explorer model would have been tempting though!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Holy Batshit Batman!

How big is that Super Ten! I think that'll have both yer legs off if its pointed off road!

The Africa Twin will win, if theres no need for speed - cos it aint got a lot!

I want to see the video of Dr Big getting pinned on the motorway, and Trev's eyes crossing as his nuts unwind!

Reply to this Topic
unchainedworld

Apr 09

donkey poop.

Saw some real burro dung bikes on my travels, these three are up there. Having said which , all the bikes I saw were running and covering roads and tracks that more modern bikes would shake their Engine Management System chips at...simple is lovely. Africa Twin though.

Reply to this Topic
vitesse7749

Nov 08

vitesse7749 says:

You gotta be in love

My R1150R Rockster has been a treat since 2004, My 06 Bonneville has also given manygrins. 2 Years ago I found a tremendous deal on a 650 KLR. So now the stable in complete. After reading the slag off from MCN I was so please to get on with this beast. It's been so much fun to sling me leg over and blast off. Distenzas mounted and a full six gallon tank, I can point and shoot an entire days worth of saddle time anywhere I please. This thing even handles decently. I think everyone needs a big single to get on with. But you gotta fall in love.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

I like the look of this, this looks really entertaining, I hope they realise that their money would have gone a lot further if they had bought their bikes from any where but mcn... I often have a quick look through and the prices people are asking for their bikes is a joke, saw a 400 with over 20000miles selling for over 3 grand last week

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Nice!

Its like Lidl Top Gear on bikes! looking forward to seeing who wins, We took a nice condition DR BIG in part exchange a while back, guy came quite a way to buy it. Can't imagine the Africa Twin is too healthy for £1500

Reply to this Topic
DakarRider

Sep 09

DakarRider says:

£1500 bike challenge

so sorry for my bad english translation

this will be the intressting testing on the road.

I have ride 2 of these motorcycle, the africa twin and tenere.  all 3 bikes have good quality for differing reason, so it will be intresting to see result of this test.

I hope testers will use new same tyre on all bike to create level playing field especially if the machine is to be taken for off the road testing. it is impossible to compare truly the bike riding performance if each machine have different tyre. my suggest choice for road surface and loose surface is mitas e09 or continental tkc80.

mine heart is feeling that the outcome should be afrika twin is the winner because this bike was super succesful in paris-dakar marathon category racing. the bike is the inspiration of the truly outstanding honda nxr. the tenere is a great machine but a fickle partner to live with and required much work to maintain. afrika twin is surely a super reliable machine and is of course capable of so much more than a mediocre rider.

the big big problem of this testing is that machines are used and possibly not best condition. if quality of machines was equal the afrika twin would win with greatest ease because honda sheer relaibilty. later afrika twin rd04 also a fantastic machine that compete in paris-dakar with success but final production rd07 machine not having status of original legend vehicles and is somewhat lesser machine.

my hope is that this will be a real test of machines and not stupid fun for testers trying to compare to hayabusa power ha ha.

hope to be good read this article

Gille L

Reply to this Topic
950Darren

Oct 08

950Darren says:

Money on.....

The African twin!!!

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

hard to know..

without knowing what the challenges are going to be or without listening and having a check over the bikes swinging arms etc, I reckon if it is offroad bias in the tests the DR may come out top, the bikes were a little more off road orientated and the rider looks as if he may be mad enough to be a decent offroad rider, saying that he may expect a little too much and break it!!

DR for me.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices