Skip to content

Ask an Expert Honda ST1100 Pan European cutting out Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Honda ST1100 Pan European cutting out

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dynojunky

Sep 09

Dynojunky says:

Honda ST1100 Pan European cutting out

hey guys

I was wondering if any of you could help. Ive got a Honda Pan European ST1100 1991 Vintage. Problem with it is it has a tendancy to cutting out (subsequently scaring the C rap out of me). The bike is fine (if a little heavy) around town, but as soon as you get out on the motorway it cuts out. Stops dead, engine stops, no murmouring, no coughing just stops. it only ever seems to do it on the motorway and always decides to do it when im overtaking. When its cut out, after i have managed to swallow my heart back into my chest it will restart but only if you flick the ignition off and back on again, if i'm quick i can do it while i'm still coasting. it will not start if you leave the ignition on after cutting out and pressing the start button, the engine just turns over.

Now the average distance travelled before it cuts out is around 70-75 miles if dry, the last time i went out it was wet and it was cutting out approx. every 20-25 miles.

Does any body know of any known faults or common problems with these.

Any response will be greatly appreciated as the best answer i got from my local honda dealer was, "oh it could be absolutely anything between the ignition and the battery" -- as useful as the chocolate wristwatch.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (10 September 2009 12:41)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cutting out

Welcome to the madhouse D,your question rings a bell,I`ve read the same question and problem before a while back on the previous topics,it does sound electrical but find out what resets, when turning the ignition back on.If you have time go back to (date topic created 3 months ago),I think kcmc had knowledge of this model.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
garybfreeman

Nov 06

garybfreeman says:

st 1100

hi I had the same problem last year cuts out then kicks in again  driveing straight or even going round a roundabout (very scary that one), the problem was my side stand switch  i checked it out bit of super glue to keep it in place job done, hope yours is the same problem then its easy solution.

Reply to this Topic
garybfreeman

Nov 06

garybfreeman says:

st 1100

sorry missed one out,theres also a fail safe cut-out on the pans , its a oil filled cut-out in case the bike falls over, on the older bikes they tend to lose fluid and then cut out check that one else as well 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

HONDA ST 1100 PAN EUROPEAN 1991

Hi Dynojunky

I would say the most common cutting out fault,on a pan of this age is the diaphragm vacuum fuel cut out.Which job is to cut the fuel off when the engine stops,to stop flooding.If it becomes faulty it will cut the fuel off,so kill the engine.Another problem is the fuel cap, if its breath gets blocked it can cause a vacuum in the fuel tank,also causing fuel starvation.As Gary.B.Freeman says it could also be the side stand cut out switch faulty.

Good Luck

K.C.:tongue:     

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Pan cut out

A contact at Honda had this to say....

"I would suggest looking at the fuel tap diaphram. If it perishs with the resulting small holes, the engine vacuum can only partly open the tap. This is sufficient for around town or country road riding, but insufficient fuel flows for sustained high speed use as on a motorway. The fuel tap is attached to the air filter housing."

Reply to this Topic
Dynojunky

Sep 09

Dynojunky says:

Closure- pan cutting out

Cheers for all your responses guys.

I had all the panels off over the weekend. i think maybe the previous owner noticed the same problem because some of the connectors been obviosly bodged about (Sidestand switch was particularly bad). It took some patience (and a Holy Haynes Manual) I litterally attacked each and every connection on the bike with some contact cleaner and abrasive paper. And now *touch wood* it seems to be fine- on a trip out sunday (220 mile rounder) it didnt cut out once.

Toodle Pip

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle