Skip to content

Discuss This Crutchlow in limbo over 2010 deal World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Crutchlow in limbo over 2010 deal

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Crutchlow in limbo over 2010 deal

Cal Crutchlow is hoping to make a decision on his future in the next seven days, which will see him either in Moto2 or WSB. The current World Supersport series leader is being courted by the Gresini Honda MotoGP squad to race in the new Moto2 class, but is also under pressure to race in the factory Yamaha World Superbike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 September 2009 14:18)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SPARKYD

Mar 09

SPARKYD says:

C-low

He will go to moto2 with gresini honda.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

GO TO MOTO2 FOR GOD SAKE !!!!!!

He is the only brit barring JT who has a great access for the new championship ..... makes perfect sence

Reply to this Topic
Evs7

Mar 07

Evs7 says:

Tricky

I'm sure he will do fine where ever he goes. However, I think if he does go to WSB then he must be prepared to be stuck there for a while. I don't think Yamaha will move him up to MotoGP. They will have Lorenzo, Spies, Rossi (If he re-signs which I think he will) plus another.

If rumours are to be believed (which they shouldn't always) apparently if he goes to WSB he would need a top 3 championship finish to go to MotoGP which could be quite tough as we all know how strong the field is. This season there has been 3 riders away with the title (Spies/Haga/Fabrizio).

I think Moto2 would suit him quite well and if he does perform well (which is a good possibility, Gresini knows how to develop a bike) he will get a shot at the RC212V in 2011. Prove yourself in MotoGP and you will have every team lining up trying to sign you.

At the end of the day he'll choose whats best for his career the lads not stupid.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Moto2

It probably makes the most sense and its a year of learning the MotoGP circus tracks if he's looking to move up at some point. Skills are probably more transferable.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Moto2

Hope Cal goes to moto2 I dont like to see good riders going to waste in Superbike , thats for when all else fails and your on the way down again IMHO Dont mean to belittle superbike riders but its just not gp and its not a step to gp , its a blind alley

Reply to this Topic
bigoltool

Nov 05

bigoltool says:

Moto2 VS Superbike

I can understand everyone wanting to jump into Moto2 just because the MotoGP satellite teams are planning to run there as well as the percieved "superiority" of the 250 riders (bollocks I say) in MotoGP these days.  But for just one second be serious here. He is on the fast track for a Factory Yamaha ride in MotoGP if he simply stays the course! He is practically gauranteed to take Spies ride if Ben goes to MotoGP next season (despite the press release saying otherwise). Then take a look at the Yamaha MotoGP effort as a whole. Colin Edwards likely only has a year or two left in him, Rossi and Lorenzo are both due to look for new contracts in 2011. That would leave ample opportunity for Cal to pursue a contract similar to Spies where he gets agreement to go straight to MotoGP (making the BBC happy as the only Brit left in the series if JT goes) if he wins the WSBK title for them. He would likely be making decent coin as well!

The benfits of going to Moto2 are also noteworthy. Running on all of the same tracks as MotoGP would give him track knowledge on the ones he doesn't get to in WSS currently. If he gets in with one of the Aforementioned satellite teams it "could" garner him a shot at their MotoGP squad as well if he sets the world on fire in Moto2. The downside is that he likely would be paid a pittance in Moto2 compared to what he could make as a factory Yamaha guy in WSBK. And he would likely not be the only brit in Moto2 with Redding and Smith likley to be there as well armed with track knowledge from the 125's.

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Bigolttool

"Moto2 with Redding and Smith likely to be there as well"

Aspar apparently want Smith to stay in 125s next year to try and win the championship. The rider moving up to Moto2 is reportedly Julian Simon.

Redding is the only other likely British candidate for Moto2, but whether he'd want to stay with the Blusens team is unclear. They don't currently seem able to keep a race bike working for a whole weekend.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

250 riders

Are superior according to results in motogp which is all we have to judge them against . Not sure Superbike will replace GP just yet .Thats why I think Cal should go to Moto2 ,its a better prospect

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

NO CHOICE

Moto2  HAS to be the right choice for Cal , the next best thing would be to stay in WSS  another year then sign up to the best team in Moto2.

DON'T get lost in WSB 

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Not quite as...

straightforward a choice as it might seem. Moto2 seems at first glance to be the best option, but Yamaha are making it hard for Cal to go that route by laying out a very tempting package for him: factory WSBK ride on an R1 to replace Spies, with a guaranteed fast track into the Tech 3 MotoGP squad if he finishes top 3. That's a pretty solid deal. He knows the tracks, he goes well on a superbike, and there's a clear target to aim for.

There are no such guarantees in Moto2. The chassis package he's on might not work as well as others,  he knows few of the tracks, and there's no guaranteed promotion into MotoGP - unlike the Superbike package. The only real advantage is that it would be a solid learning year, but not necessarily one that would lead to anything. At this point in his career, that might not be what Cal is looking for.

It's a tough decision, and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make it. The good news is that he seems to have good advisors around him and has made the right decisions so far. Hopefully things will work out for him in 2010 and he can continue his upward progress.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices