Skip to content

Discuss This Doubt over police speed detection tactics General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Doubt over police speed detection tactics

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Doubt over police speed detection tactics

Doubt has been cast over police methods for catching speeding motorcyclists after a case was dramatically thrown out by a court.   Colin Jameson, 43, and Andrew Bones, 40, both from Durham, were cleared after it emerged police did not actually know how fast either had been going. Instead they had calculated an average speed for both riders.    Officers had timed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 September 2009 17:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Dishonest

Well done lads

one of thousands of dodgy prosecution's each year no doubt

is there such a thing as a honest traffic cop any more?

why are these fraudulent police officers not sacked and there pensions cancelled

Reply to this Topic
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

Traffic cops are a law onto themselves, even regular cops hate them.

A quashed prosecution can only be positive. They have no discretion anymore in terms of judgement.

Reply to this Topic
rnshelton

Apr 09

rnshelton says:

I wouldn't rely on next judge not knowing schoolboy maths since no matter who was in front at start and finish both would have been going at least the speed between the timed distance.  Though my schoolboy maths was two trains, maybe bikes are different.  Lucky lads.

Reply to this Topic
essexroadkill

Jul 09

Police in Basildon Essex use  this method a lot , we  even now have the countries first car that goes round with a satalite on top , if  your illegally parked it just sends an image back and you get a ticket , the ddriver dosnt even have to stop .

seems like they will stalk down to any method to raise a bit of revenue

Reply to this Topic
JS4119

Oct 08

JS4119 says:

Very Lucky...

I agree, the evidence doesn't seem that unsafe to me. In fact, it favours the riders, not the police. If the clock starts when the lead rider passes a certain point and stops when the following rider passes another then the average speed will be lower than the riders actual speed (assuming they stay at a constant speed). If the riders change position, or one goes much faster than the other it is still extremely unlikely to record an average speed that is faster than the slowest riders actual speed (the only way this could occur is if the lead rider was a long distance in front of the second rider, who would have to ride extremely fast but not pass the lead rider, and in this case it would be impossible to take their average speed as they clearly wouldn't be riding as a group). The judge must have thrown it out as it isn't possible to give both riders precise speeds, a vital piece of evidence needed to prosecute a speeding offence.  Still, next time the police will just time riders individually and then it's back to being our fault for speeding.

Reply to this Topic
jbond

Aug 02

jbond says:

too many decimal places

VASCAR often seems to be quoted to several places of decimals eg 88.62mph but there never seems to be any detail about the margin of error, given that it's all based on a person hitting a button at exactly the right moment. It's highly likely that the actual margin of error is several mph not 0.01mph.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Accuracy

The Bikers in question were possibly a bit lucky to get such an understanding reception but I am very suprised to see that the speed quoted did not include an estimate of error (e.g. I would expect to see something like 88+/-4mph). Without an estimate of error the decimal places seem incredibly unlikely and the speed unbelievable.

In this case the police appear to have attempted to time the bikers around corners which causes many other errors to come in to play - what is the distance travelled?

If I am stopped by police using this technique unless its really clear to me I will ask my solicitor to obtain a full calculation of my speed including assessments of errors - without this information I wouldn't be able to defend myself...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices