Skip to content

Discuss This James Toseland loses MotoGP ride MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > James Toseland loses MotoGP ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

James Toseland loses MotoGP ride

James Toseland is likely to make a swift but reluctant return to World Superbikes in 2010 after losing his MotoGP ride. World Superbike sensation Ben Spies has opted to quit World Superbikes and move to the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad where he will join fellow Texan Colin Edwards next season in an all-American team. According to MCN sources, Toseland’s departure was finalised...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 September 2009 13:19)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ben52

Sep 09

Ben52 says:

Good news

Glad Toseland is coming back to WSBK, just a shame we wont get to see him race Spies, 2010,s gonna be the bollox in WSBK!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

ghostrider2

Are you wishing Spies falls on his face because JT is out? Or do you just wish that they could go head up in WSBK?

But be very careful of what you wish for - you do know Spies has twice the number of poles and looks like he may equal or surpass JT total number of wins (JT has 16 -Spies has 12 with 6 races to go) in 1 year what it took JT 7 years. Really, who would you bet the mortgage on?

Reply to this Topic
cjenkins

Sep 09

cjenkins says:

re: rawdawg

don't agree with you mate.

for a start the people you mentioned like spencer & lawson were the best the sport has ever seen so to compare people like toseland, edwards and bayliss is a bit silly. secondaly, the bikes have changed so much it requires a totally different style. you didn't have to change your style of riding to make the switch 20-30 years ago, all the bikes had more power than the chassis and tyres could handle where now the motogp and wsbk bikes are a world apart. there are more ex 250 riders on the grid now for a reason, they do better. compare the results of rossi's, pedrosa, lorenzo to the the three ex wsbk riders edwards, toseland and vermulen and it proves a point.

james has performed as well as, if not better than, all the ex wsbk riders with the exception of bayliss in one race. they all had the talent but made the switch to late and old habits die hard.

Reply to this Topic
snoman1956

Aug 09

snoman1956 says:

Handy Decision

Well thats handy means I only have to worry about  WSB and BSB , Good job that Tech 3 decided to take Edwards advice, certainly dont think that its such a quality field in GP to not have a UK based rider  in the field but a lot of politics.  Certainly wish Spies success a very talented rider but i do hope that now the BBC will spend its money on a series with UK riders in it we dont get enough motorbike racing on the national channel and selfishly as a license payer I want to see UK riders.

Reply to this Topic
rossideg

Apr 09

rossideg says:

moto gp

Indeed Hayden is a superbiker, though not worlds...the only one to make a success of it in the modern 4T era.

Reply to this Topic
seabeeahh600

Jul 07

seabeeahh600 says:

motogp what a load of politcal bulshit... fill the grid up with italians, spaniards and two americans in the same team...no brit to support.... As usual we never get behind the brits when they r in sport, just bitch and moan how shit they r... when really he was doin OK in a field of riders who apart from the top 4 are all battling for the rest of the places... he should have been given another chance...just look at edwards...been there years, never won a race, even when valentino was winning on the same bike he had...I hope Toseland gets a good ride in WSB, wins it and shows the doubters, just what he can do...

Reply to this Topic
cjenkins

Sep 09

cjenkins says:

re: rossideg

aye, hayden is the exception to the rule but he didn't ride a superbike for very long and when he switched the power of the bike was still the biggest factor in both bikes. as soon as you took that away and made corner speed the biggest factor, i.e 800 cc bikes,  he struggled. plus, he was given a bit more time than the average wsbk rider who made the switch.

p.s. sorry for hogging the debate but at work bored!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

wait a minute cjenkins

You are totally wrong.

First, I didn't compare Spencer and Lawson and the like to the current riders - I just said they came from a superbike background.

And have you actually seen the production bikes they used to race? The piece of shit bikes that flexed and wobbled everywhere, didn't particularly like to turn or stop? So how in the world can you say they didn't have to change their style to ride a 500cc? The 500's where a totally different ball game all together.

There is without a doubt more 250 riders on the grid because quite frankly WSBK hasn't had many young stand out riders lately. That's not to say all deserve to get there. De Puniet, Elias, and De Angelis (who all have done a decent job) didn't exactly set the 250 paddock on fire and where gifted MotoGP rides. Think Hector Barbera going to GPs next year - good but not great and no titles. GP bosses hire who they see more often for one thing. You can place 4th or 5th in 250s and get a MotoGP ride but for some reason the only way to come from WSBK is to win a title (except in Chris V. case)

Reply to this Topic
cjenkins

Sep 09

cjenkins says:

re: rawdawg

i think we've both slightly misunderstood each other. i though you were saying that people have come from production racing before, spencer and lawson, so they can do it now. my point was that when they did it the bikes were more suited to a superbike style so it was easier for them to do it and i stick to that. the production bikes in america where crazy stuff but the early 500cc bikes were nothing like the bikes that we have now. lawson's 1989 nsr was as crazy a bike that has ever raced.

i compared those three riders because it was three 250 champs and 3 wsbk champs, i made a mistake with vermulen so i hold my hands up. de puniet, elias and de angelis got a job because people saw other ex 250 riders doing well. if the wsbk champions are struggling then the people they have beat have two hopes of getting a ride. bob hope and no hope.

Reply to this Topic
cjenkins

Sep 09

cjenkins says:

curve ball

one bloke who could of made the switch was carl fogarty. his style was absolutly made for the 800cc bikes we have now and i don't even like the bloke that much.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices