Skip to content

Discuss This DVLA rooftop protest over lost bike licence General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > DVLA rooftop protest over lost bike licence

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

DVLA rooftop protest over lost bike licence

An MCN reader is planning a rooftop protest after the DVLA lost all records of his motorcycle licence and then denied he’d ever had one. Dave Hill, 46, says he will scale DVLA headquarters in Swansea and doesn’t care if he gets arrested. MCN revealed in July how the DVLA had refused to reinstate Hill’s bike licence despite a court...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 September 2009 15:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Strange...

I thought the DVLA served the public and not the other way around.......

If Joe Public says he has a licence and has a more than valid method of proving such then there should be absolutely no reason for the DVLA to dishonour their basic job specification of serving us.

Good luck with the protest. Strange how we're not allowed in there with cameras in case we are criminals yet 'Google Earth' are allow to send out pictures all over the world..........

Reply to this Topic
stillakid

May 09

stillakid says:

Bricking it

I've just had to send my licence off for renewal, before i did so i spoke to DVLA.

I was told (untruthfully) that they had never 'lost' anyones entitlement, it was just a 'media lie' and if i had any concerns then take a photocopy as they would accept that as proof of entitlement !!

Incidentally, sent my passport off in the same post, had that back for three days now.

I hope to hell DVLA don't screw up as my first ever brand new bike (Tiger 1050) rolled off the production line today. Now that would p**s me off !!!!

Reply to this Topic
zarablue

Sep 09

zarablue says:

licence renewal

I had to send my licence of, well to be fair it didnt expire till next year but I was a bit panicked by what I saw in here so while my old one was still valid I applied for a new one and told them I lost mine. I gave them quite a list to do, new photo, remove speeding fine, remove motorbike 2 yr restriction, and didnt think I would get it back at all.

About 9 days later it arrived back, I sat and studied the old and the new, restrictions gone, new photo, points gone, all good, then I started noticing some diffrences new code added number 71 checked the book, what dissapointment, no new catogry just means its a duplicate, provisional entitlements have been moved around, guess thats because I have a bike licence I no longer need provisional entitlement. Got hubby to double check it amazingly alls good, I have been lucky this time, now what to do with my old one, I mean im not sure I can trust them with it they might give it someone else, maybe  I will distroy it?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Old one

Just so you're aware it's an offence to have two licences. If the new one is okay you should destroy the old one.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Relax...

'philehidiot'... Keep it calm. If the lady wants to keep the old one then that is fine. The offence is not having it but using it when you're not supposed to and the offence is covered in several places. The piece of paper and the card are technically worthless pieces of paper now. Don't go scaremongering the lady. By all means destroy the old licence but do not feel obliged to do so but you CANNOT use it again unless of course you are in a foreign country.

I do find it rather comical though, 'zarablue', that you have no confidence in the DVLA and felt it necessary to double check what you obtained back. It goes to show the deep routed dis-trust that has been a direct result of the DVLA's complete incompetence and lack of direction in this matter. They have suffered irreversible damage and the only option left is for those responsible to admit what's happened, explain why and then quietly make for the door and resign.

'stillakid', congratulations on the new purchase. Hope all goes well with the delivery of your new bike and the delivery of your fresh licence. Peace people...

Reply to this Topic
stillakid

May 09

stillakid says:

WINNER !!

Wow, i love the DVLA !!

After yesterdays posting i get my new licence in thismornings post.

All entitlements present and correct BUT they have 'lost' all my points (two lots of three sp30 and cu80). What a result is all i can say, I sincerely hope you are all as Jammy / lucky with your licences.

Just got to get the Tiger delivered safely ......

Reply to this Topic
Ruthja2801

Aug 09

Ruthja2801 says:

Fingers Crossed

Blimley, that was lucky!

Just hope i manage to keep all my entittlements, when i send my back, I'm due a new card, stil can't believe I have to pay £20 for it!

I have 'lost' my orginal! Just in case!!!

Reply to this Topic
sjtscott

Aug 02

sjtscott says:

hmmm - personally worried too

My photo license expires next year - I think I'll be 'loosing' mine when I apply for a new one too as a just in case.

I cannot believe that the DVLA will not admit the mess ups that have occured. To be honest with a computerised license I still fail to understand how you can loose vehicle categories.

Reply to this Topic
BeanDiving

Aug 08

BeanDiving says:

What a farce, in the next year I will (fingers crossed) get my bike license and move house os that will be twice the DVLA have to have my license.

I'll be taking copies of everything before it's sent off.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

BBC

Getting back to the original story, why doesn't he just contact WATCHDOG like those litle old ladies did????

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices