You are in... Forums > General > General > New BIke New Tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Redpastyboy

Jul 09

Redpastyboy says:

New BIke New Tyres

I'm picking up my first bike on thursday. A new Gixxer 750. I'm gonna be pretty nervous especially after watching the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

How slippery are new tyres and are there any other tips you can give me on riding a new bike?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 September 2009 14:58)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

New tyres

Red

Just take it easy don't pile on the power and you should be okay. Oh and don't forget to check the bike over in some detail before sign for it. 

Have fun. 

Reply to this Topic
stevepurcell

May 07

stevepurcell says:

Red

just go easy on the new tyres for about 100miles.until they are scrubbed in  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

If you're worried..

about tyres and brakes and handling,just do these in the dealers Car Park, before you get on the open road.although I think most dealers will make sure that the releasing agent is scoured off the new bikes.It looks bad having your customers trashing their new bikes on the forecourt...:smile

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

First 100 miles

On new tyres are hairy, really. In the dry you have to ride like you are on wet, oily roads. Very gentle power, don't lean too much. Then after 50 miles you can build up a bit and by 100 you'll have normal grip. However, don't ride in the wet for the first 20-30 miles. That is really pushing things!

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

Hmm Kim

So what do you do if it rains on the way back from the tyre shop?:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
stevepurcell

May 07

stevepurcell says:

Haha

get a taxi :laugh::laugh:

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Stop in Tescos

and buy a scouring pad. And a pac-a-mac.

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Or

about 4 laps of Cadwell.........

As i found out after nearly crashing on every bend for about 3 and a half laps!!

:lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Dont think the milage is really the issue here.... Its progressively leaning the bike so the tyre wears over the width of it...  There is no point doing hundred miles bolt upright then thinking 'ok, im good to go'..... As the first time you then really lean the bike you will still be going onto the unscrubbed rubber..... squeeky bum time indeed.

Providing your carefull with the power and progressively lean the bike a bit more at a time you could in theory scrub a tyre in in next to no time or miles.......

Ohhhh and I picked up a brand new gixer in the rain.. Had no issues whatsoever.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You can

Use a bit of sandpaper to take the worst of it off if you're that worried. As above - 100 miles delicately. After 60 or so I start to increase the lean angles, depending on how the tyre feels. I find that by about 120 miles I've generally got my chicken strips to where they're going to be for the life of the tyre (no I can't run them to the edge), so that gives you some idea of how far you have to go to get them nicely scrubbed in. That guy probably let the clutch out too fast and didn't know how to control it.

Just remember to use a tiny weeny bit of throttle and when you're setting off use as much clutch as you need and let it out as slowly as you need to make sure it's smooth. Don't worry about the car behind you at the lights, they can wait 2 seconds more. You can think about sparing the clutch when you're familiar with the bike and it's a lot cheaper to wear the clutch slightly faster than do what that person did.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices