Skip to content

Discuss This New Ducati Hypermotard 796 New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Ducati Hypermotard 796

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Newbigging  says:

New Ducati Hypermotard 796

This is the new Ducati Hypermotard 796, with an all-new engine and a lighter, lower chassis. Ducati’s says the air-cooled two-valve v-twin is an all new engine, though in reality the 81bhp  engine borrows heavily from the 1100cc and the 695cc engines used elsewhere in Ducati’s range. Ducati also describes the engine as smooth and flexible, hinting that the engine’s character is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (23 September 2009 10:30)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

from my own experience the build quality of Honda 125s is rubbish as my first bike was a Honda 125 believe it or not and bought new in 03 - not up to standard at all -  and its not just the basic CG125s and the like most Varadero 125s (around the same price as an rs125 aprilia) i've seen have horrible rust around the wheels and frame.

So in terms of build quality the reality is often someone different from the sterotype - and this includes cars too - brake calipers on new Audis rot and they break down as much as new Mercs - so its not just Japanese bikes that dont live up to the quality image in reality. The truth of the matter is in owner reviews and if you look at the ratings for recent Dukes they are very high indeed - no horror stories at all.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

I did mention that the Honda 125cc build quality had slipped significantly, but the RS125 is no better built, the rear shock for example has a very short lifespan. Most manufacturers (including Honda, Yamaha, BMW yes even Ducati) have been cutting corners and outsourcing work. we've had many a modern BMW in stock that hasn't been what you would expect, the same with most Honda models released since 2005ish. and suzuki GSXR build quality is terrible. this is not an issue limited to the 125cc market, nor is it an issue solely applicable to Jap bikes, European stuff to (often more so as they don't have the large cash reserves to weather quiet spells). they are all trying to cut costs on materials and we as customers are suffering the consequences. but anyway. back the the 796, Will it be as fast as the FMX650? :)

Reply to this Topic
andydesmo

Jun 07

andydesmo says:

Hypermotard 796

I got bored with soul less four cyclinder bikes a few years ago, I promise you if you get into this type of bike it like being reborn to bikes, like the first time you ever rode a bike on the road all over again. It is a sad misconception that Ducati quality is poor, it may be truer of older models but they are one of the few companies making advances in quality, performance, design, technology, reliability and they don't cost a packet to maintain anymore. My friend sells Suzuki's and Ducati's, he showed me a Monster 696 and a Suzuki Gladius last week, both the same age, both the same mileage used everyday in London, the Suzuki was falling to pieces but the 696 still had that new bike shine. I love Ducati's so I am biased but don't be blinkered by the rumours, give it a go, you won't regret it !

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

myths

its a bit like Fiat cars - many people are still suspicious - even though in reality there is more chance of something going wrong with an Audi or Merc these days as many friends of mine will back up. some people just like to hold onto myths and sterotypes to justify there own postition or look down on others.

Honda FMX650? lol well the 796 has just over 100% more power while weighing no more... so im saying it wont be close.. :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Thats a very good point, to be so blinded by one manufacturer that you cling to myth's and stereotypes of other makes to justify your own feeling of superiority is very sad indeed. The FMX comment had just a smidge of sarcasm, rode ok but it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

I could tolerate potential issues if the bike is fun / exciting, which this will be. I just hope the dealer network can help IF there are issues. This will be a great fun bike no matter what.

Reply to this Topic
BIGKAHUNA

Jul 09

BIGKAHUNA says:

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Ive got a Black Hype1100s and its the best fun you can have on two wheels

Ive got quiet a few bikes and would sell the rest and just keep that

I can see why theyve done it to attract more buyers who cant stretch to £10k for a new 1100s

The thing is if id got a 796 youd always wish youd spent more and got a 1100s

This bike is the dogs danglys buy one you dont know what your missing

Build quality is verygood just make sure you use some ACF50 on it

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

BIGKAHUNA did you just port the same message again? or is it a glitch in the matrix?

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Sat on a 1100 HM this morning and it's WAY too focused for what i want. The 800 looks to be a bit more user friendly. Will be looking forward to a ride on one.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices