Skip to content

Ask an Expert First Big Bike. Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First Big Bike.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

eltweeno

Sep 09

eltweeno says:

First Big Bike.

I am looking at buying my first big bike, I am only 21 so am looking for a bike around 600cc to 750cc. I am in love with the R1 but I can keep dreaming!

At the moment I am looking at R6's, but I think I am a bit tall at 6'1", and the Suzuki GSXR 750. I quite like the Old style ninjas, the style before the current one but I am looking to buy new to take advantage of a good finance plan.
If anyone could give me some good feedback or tell me what I should be looking at I would appreciate it very much, thanks for your time!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (26 September 2009 12:37)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chrisgold001

Nov 06

chrisgold001 says:

?

if its your 1st bike bike and your anything like me ... then i'd say buy with your heart not your head .... i think people tend not to keep their 1st bike very long ... we don't know what to expect until we start living with it then we want to change .. get something that you wont have too much trouble selling on ... so anything you've mentioned really ... then go for it .... but  if your hankering is for the R1 then you probably wont rest until you get it .............  

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

if buying new

and (presume you have full license) get down the local dealers, make it clear you're serious and test ride a few.

The insurance is probably (or maybe not if you're minted) the driving factor at 21, and remember, the throttle goes both ways, so test ride a few and buy the one you like the most

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Check insurance Costs..

Hi,
You haven't mentioned checking insurance costs. I would check this before you go to the dealer... New bikes cost much more to insure than used and a new ZX may be very expensive for you... (particularly if you have no no claims). If this knocks all these bikes out of possibility for you I would check out an SV or a Fazer

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

1st bike

FZ6, Hornet and SV are all good choices, if you really want a sports bike any from the jap four will be great, but the CBR600RR7-> is probably the best about at the moment.

Reply to this Topic
Tooshay

Dec 07

Tooshay says:

First Big Bike

My first 'big bike' was an SV650S, cracking bike, never went wrong, which i had from 17-19 years old. I then went to a Honda CB1300S, which i didnt get on with because i'm 6' 2" and my legs would bash into the headlight fairing so went to my nearest dealer to look at buying a new bike, but being 19, i couldn't test ride anything & ended up buying a VFR800 which i didnt get on with at all (throttle issues), and ended up doing a swap for a new CBR600RR8 in may this year. I've now just turned 20 and done over 5000 miles on it so far with no problems at all. I don't have any issues with comfort, it's very comfortable and i don't find that i'm too big for it either - but if you've not ridden a sports bike before, it may take a bit of getting used to at first. The only other thing is what other people have mentioned - Insurance. Mine was just over £800 fully comp, with 3 years no claims and to be honest, that's cheap, my dad's blade would cost me £4000! If you can test ride some bikes, go and do so - i would check insurance prices first though. Good Luck & have fun with whatever you end up with!

Reply to this Topic
BIGMat

Jul 09

BIGMat says:

How much???

How much you looking to spend?

I have a '95 CBR600FS £1300, perfect first big bike (imo) plenty of power and good handling (my brother is 6' 5" and says it's lovely, and comfy. Oh and it's totally reliable.

As was previously mentioned, you probably won't own it for long, so reliability and functionability are important, you don't want to spend all your time working on it! Once you get used to it you will want more power (if thats your thing, it's enevitable) and the re-sale will be pretty well the same as you pay for it (providing you haven't lobbed it down the road)

Good luck fella. Keep it on the black stuff!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices