Skip to content

Discuss This Honda VFR1200 exclusive: 160bhp and more secrets leak New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Honda VFR1200 exclusive: 160bhp and more secrets leak

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Honda VFR1200 exclusive: 160bhp and more secrets leak

Honda’s imminent VFR1200 will have 160bhp at the crank – 15bhp more than a Yamaha FJR1300 – MCN can reveal. More info on the Honda VFR1200 Our Japanese source also revealed today the all-new V4 sports tourer’s engine is smaller than the VFR800 motor in every dimension, thanks in large part to a vee-angle significantly less than 90 degrees. MCN believes the engine...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 September 2009 17:11)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Oh Dear. So the new VFR will be expensive, won't sell and the Pan and Varry will get delayed again. Not good. If it's more than 12 grand Honda can stick it.

Reply to this Topic
cliff1246

Sep 09

cliff1246 says:

vfr 1200

So much for the 180bhp rear wheel blackbird replacement...... 160 at the crank: 148 at the wheel!!!! is just as much as a 13 year old Bird.... unbeliveable

Reply to this Topic
mickipaq

Oct 06

mickipaq says:

no faith

Honda obviously have no faith in these bikes if they did they couldn't get em out fast enough.do you see yamaha suzuki kawasaki ducati piss arseing about NO there saying our bikes are the biz come and get em here they are.I have been waiting for the new varadeo but fuck em i'll get the multistrada instead,thats another sale lost ,now count the feckin pennies

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

160 bhp....not difficult..

to work that one out, I did the maths a few month's ago. One of my bikes is a '97 VFR750. So....

1200/750 x 100 = 160 bhp at the crank

Same basic state of tune as my 13 yr old 750 with it's olde worlde semi-flat slide carbs et al. I guess Honda will imbue the VFR1200 with excellent longevity and reliability by going easy on the ponies and the revs. BTW expec t 85 ft lb of torque and a redline at 11000 RPM. 

I don't see anything wrong in this approach as that kind of power and  torque will be perfect and more than most will need. If you do need more you can always buy the 'busa. Also, ready or not I think the staggered approach to releasing this family of v4 bikes will work better for Honda marketing in the long run as it will keep the spotlight burning for longer on their new engine configuration.   

Reply to this Topic
Defiant1

Aug 09

Defiant1 says:

Agreed ...

I found myself nodding in total agreement with both hondarc30 and cliff1246. I am definitely in the market and eagerly awaiting the release of the new VFR, actually holding-off on another purchase to give the Viffer priority. This obviously all depends on both the looks and the " feel " and riding experience. To find, wondrous as it all sounds in the accompanying story with the Brit test rider's comments, that there is no more power than my existing 06 Blackbird is a more than major disappointment and surprise. I would be the first to appreciate that "power " per se is not everything and the torque and handling making one a " better " rider sounds like great stuff  - BUT- only time will tell. If the mouth-watering spec translates into reality then there will be a lot of happy campers. If it is truly, deeply unattractive, Honda will have a problem. Still, anything is better than an ugly, slow Harley poseur machine, eh?

Reply to this Topic
cliff1246

Sep 09

cliff1246 says:

vfr 1200

To true Defiant1 power isn't everything but the chance of a great new chassis, better front end feel and adjustability, with 180 brake would be great. i had a '98 Bird for a few years before moving on to a spankers ZX12R in '03 which had the long wheel base and had the much sportier front end i loved it though most didn't ;-(  this is where i was hoping the VFR was heading, with the Blade front end and a reasonable lenth wheel base for the hyper bike power output first promised, which unlike the latest 1000 superbike wouldn't be flapping there heads every where on our British lanes and back roads .... a real shame i think.

Reply to this Topic
obie01

Aug 09

obie01 says:

vfr 1200

I hope that Honda gets a back bone! I’m tyred of the old bike styles insect bikes. This new VFR looks appealing to me it’s a fresh new style. I would upgrade my old Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace it’s a big old bigbore bike, this new Honda needs a little more power dual clutch system would great with e-cabs and have the performance of a super sport bike or simular with touring features and you have hit it right on the button big Sales!!! I know this is what I want but if it’s over priced I will be buying a BMW.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

So.......

160BHP at the crank  becomes approx 147bhp at the back wheel which is about the same as a great many large capacity sports tourer bikes of the last 20 years.

Is it me or does the supposed Pan Euro replacement look like its in a gurning championship.

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

I get a feeling it will be more of a rival to the Sprint than an all out rival to the BMW K13S. I just hope it's competitively priced. Honda buyers will not pay BMW money. End of.

Reply to this Topic
ianmbr

Jan 06

ianmbr says:

vfr1200

Ive had loads of pans  , if this new bike is as good  then it will do well  ,,i also have put off buying  but if its going to be bmw money then forget it . hondas build quality is starting to slip Honda men are trying new thing s

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices