Skip to content

General H4 bulbs 100w legal or not???? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > H4 bulbs 100w legal or not????

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mr meerkat

Jan 08

mr meerkat says:

H4 bulbs 100w legal or not????

gettin some new bulbs for my NC30, stock is the H4 60w, but i've seen 100w bulbs on ebay tho they say they're just for "shows".
i want brighter lights, but can't run to HID kit, so why are the 100w not road legal?
i don't mind ahem bendin the law a little especially if it means i'm easier to see... would there be any probs using 100W ie overheating etc?
otherwise what make of 60w h4 bulbs are reccomended?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (02 October 2009 11:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

100w bulbs

There may be a problem with the wiring on your bike being able to handle the extra current and the charging circuit might not be up to the job of running the bike under high electrical loads with the lights lit (ie it might drain the battery if ran at night and cause ignition problems).

Reply to this Topic
mr meerkat

Jan 08

mr meerkat says:

ta

cheers, guess i'll just have to stick wi standard...

Reply to this Topic
Mjollnir

Aug 08

Mjollnir says:

They are illegal

but only because there is a rule stating something along the lines that you are not allowed to fit light s of a higher wattage than the origional manufacturers for that vehicle.

I have always fitted 80/100 H4 in the past (cars and bikes), and have never been pulled, or had it commented upon at MOT's so I wouldn't worry too much.

where the high beams are independant of the dipped i have only up rated them, as when you are on dipped beam chances are other light sources are about anyway. It is really just about not taking the piss.

Reply to this Topic
mr meerkat

Jan 08

mr meerkat says:

just fitted 60/55w halfords extreme brilliance xenon, £19.99 and 2 for 1 so not bad price, they are loads brighter than the old ones , tho i had to snap off 2 of the lugs on the rim of the bulb to fit them as for some reason the 3 lugs don't line up into the holder...

now to get it somewhere more interestin than my garage with the light out to test em! mebbe some night rides thru the peak district to try em out.....

thanks for the advice all

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices