Skip to content

Discuss This Would watching a celebrity ride a bike encourage your non-biking friends to get on two wheels? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would watching a celebrity ride a bike encourage your non-biking friends to get on two wheels?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Laura Kennerley  says:

Would watching a celebrity ride a bike encourage your non-biking friends to get on two wheels?

The British motorcycle industry believes it will and has launched a £4m campaign to encourage the masses to consider buying a bike. They have enlisted the help of eight celebs to do this – so far pop star Simon Webbe from Blue and England cricketer Darren Gough have taken up the challenge. Are they the right celebs to get your...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (02 October 2009 11:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
elementz

Jul 09

elementz says:

Biking

For celebrity endorsement to work, they normally have to be pretty damn famous, and I just don't think a member of blue will cut the mustard. A better idea, in my opinion, would be to widely publicise footage from events like Reclaim North Wales and places like Matlock Bath, maybe mixed in with helmet cam footage and voxpops of people who ride, explaining what it's like. This would show the wide variety of different types of people biking attracts, how friendly we all are, and that it is very easy to get into. I'd keep the free motorcycle taster sessions currently on offer, but maybe use radio or (preferably) TV advertising to put it about. That's just how I'd go about it, though, and I really do hope you manage to encourage more people into biking. ele

Reply to this Topic
norton1

Aug 07

norton1 says:

Celebrity ride

I can’t think of a single celebrity that I would make me want to get on my bike and ride. I do it because I love to ride, because of the freedom, the thrill of the open road. Riding becomes part of you, you don’t become it just because some jumped up pop star or actor is seen riding. It may work for some but not for me.

Reply to this Topic
GreenTea

Aug 09

GreenTea says:

How about £4 million towards the Bikesafe Initative

Get more police forces on the side of motorcyclists, and invite new riders to get on some of the good biking routes. Promote the high standard of training that is available. As already suggested helmet cams, of good bike routes, police riders giving tips and helping to promote biking. The wrong celebrities would turn a lot of people off, If the wrong celebrity was used to promote a bike that I was considering purchasing, I would seriously look for some other bike as I am not trying imitate them or anyone else. There is nothing like a long winding road and good scenery, the heat of the engine, smell of the petrol and oil, a wind in you face, you don't need celebrities to promote that feeling of freedom. Think of an eagle high up in the clear sky, complete freedom, cut to the bike cam on a winding road - need I say more.

Reply to this Topic
hertsfazer600

Oct 07

So how many people have Princes Harry and William encouraged onto bikes?

Reply to this Topic
BusaBeater

Aug 02

BusaBeater says:

Well said Elementz

Can't see any celeb causing my none-biking mates to want to go buy a bike.

It seems the best way to go, is to hold big bike meets where none-biking families can also go and have a wander 'round (like Matlock, Bassetts Pole, etc. ). However, you would need some type of marshalling to keep the wheelie/stoppie/crash morons away.  Also, when was the last time you saw any pro-bike advertising on mainstream TV ?

Oh yes, and keep plod away - the way some of those dozy twonks treat bikers would put anybody off two wheels

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Celebrity

Very difficult to convey the thrills of motorcycling to a non-rider. Friends have commented how they admire the caneraderie and love of riding from A to B just for the fun of it. I loved the Honda advert - starting with a moped ending with a balloon (didn't make me take up ballooning though). I suppose Charlie and Ewan were very popular on telly, but I didn't buy the aftershave and couldn't see what the hell it had to do with adventure riding, in fact I would say it was opposite to riding, but at least whoever made the aftershave (old engine oil/damp leathers etc)  thought that Ewan was a good positive representative, can't remember when that ever happened before to a motorcycling personality for some reason. Anyway, motorcycling telly stars are Rossi, Charlie and Ewan, Si and Dave, Bradley, James T, Lempit, etc nobody else has had the exposure in the UK. And UK newspapers generally treat m/c as a news item about accidents, bit like pot-holing. It's slowly getting better though, so it needs to be a mixture of m/c personalities, politicians, judges, doctors, police, vicar's and the rest of us (like the Bennets adverts and the investment advert showing a retired couple setting off for a ride). If the adverts are aimed at the masses, they must represent the masses. I'm interested to learn if Simon Webbe is as good as Jimmy Hendrix was, and can't wait for cricket to dissapear off our screens.

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Celibrity2

Apologise to Simon Webb from me, just checked his track "ride the storm", a good singer/song writter. Some of the guiter riffs sound very like the intro. from Born to be wild. Don't know if he can change the anti-motorcycling mindset which is based on the usual mix of fear/prejudice/jealousy/manipulation.

Reply to this Topic
ojosef

Sep 08

ojosef says:

What a load ot twaddle..

The MCIA should pack their bags and leave or support the people that pay them, us riders and everyone who buys a bike, this is no way to encourage motorcycle use...

I think this video better sums it up, this would encourage me to get a bike, watch this video everyone: http://vimeo.com/5850327

Reply to this Topic
iMarcus

Apr 08

iMarcus says:

Whats Blue & who's Simon Webbe??

For this to work they want to try getting real celebs involved, not the Z list.....

Also, I think a large part of the problem is the "kidney donor" tag that I get labelled with - its the negative danger element that needs to be removed to get non-bikers interested....

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Not directly...

Most of my friends are too old and set in their ways to change but I can see that the positive images produced by the likes of Ewan and Charlie on TV of adventures on Bikes are having a positive effect on the perceptions of bikes and bikers. Even the top gear challenge when each of tehm had to ride a bike across Thailand was a broadly positive story (and great fun too watch).

I think this sort of activity can help and is unlikely to hinder...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices