Skip to content

General Best 125 for learner? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Best 125 for learner?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ramsey93

Oct 09

ramsey93 says:

Best 125 for learner?

Hey. im turning 17 next april... yes im very impatient to get on a bike:sunglasses:. and i was wondering what bike would be good to start on. i dont particularly want a 2 stroke. or a mx type. i was thinking about a second hand yzf r125?.. what do you guys think? let me know cheers:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (08 October 2009 13:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Proof you're bound to crash:

- The peak age for being killed on a motorcycle is 17.

- Comparing riders aged 20 to aged 30, the 20 year olds have 3x the accident risk.
- Comparing riders of the same age, those in their first year of riding have a 3x greater risk of accident than those in their sixth year.
- The average rider starting at 17 will have more than eight accidents by the time they're 35.
- The size of my prescription painkiller collection.

Don't buy anything too pretty.

EDIT: Oh and you'll probably drop it once or twice too.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Quariosv650

Jul 08

Quariosv650 says:

cbr

i went through a couple learners, due to them being nicked and explosions etc, but i found my fav was the cbr. it was quick but not 2 quick, fairly good looks which is always important ( dont anyone deny it, u no its tru) and was cheap to run.
as stated above the riding position is very good. u can tuck up and go all sporty on it, pushed mine to nearly 90, but also it can be a very comfortable sit up and beg position aswell.
dont know bout the r125, but all other 125s i came accross (even some guys on big quads) couldnt keep up with it.
awesome bike.
but when it comes down to it u do need to go an sit on some. if your tall it may be worth looking at the varadero 125, even some of the cruiser 125s are half decent ( im thinking the yamaha, cant remember specifics). its all down to you.
have fun! :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

well, I still say try the YBR125 and the CG125.

The YBR has brilliant brakes, and its nice to sit on. It will do 90mpg, and it looks OK with its fly screen (if you get a newer one..05/06+)  The handling is also very good - enough to practice cornering.

I've had to emergency brake enough times to know the brakes are good, and I have never fallen off it once.

With a good chain and pocket, it will do up to 70mph (but normally 65), which is enough for starting out.

Like I say... the bike's lack of power on the motorway is getting on my nerves and is dangerous, but you cant expect too much from a 125cc engine.

If getting a YBR, aim to pay slightly over a grand. Or go for an ex-courier (as I did), because they keep changing all their bikes for new stock, and don't have the room.  I got mine for under a grand!  I didn't believe it was OK for that price, and kept expecting problems, but two yrs later, I can say I am very happy with the service mine has given me. If couriers they have their own mechanics, so although it will be high miles, it will be well maintained high miles, which are far better than poorly maintained few thousand miles.

I'm surprised someone said they hated it! Because there really is nothing to hate. I'd be interested to know whats to hate, if you're after a 125 to learn on, that will also get you from A to B cheaply and reliably, and that looks reasonable. I can turn it on a 6-pence (something you appreciate a whole lot more after doing DAS on a bigger bike).

Ps, I'm not trying to sell you my bike.. lol.

OK, maybe I do have some gripes: the gears can stick (common prob among YBRs), and you can randomly find it hard to kick out of neutral from time to time (but, both those things, whilst common to YBR's, are a rare occurence indeed) 

Reply to this Topic
londonangel

Dec 07

londonangel says:

geoffart..

I just didn't like the ybr, but great if it works for you, like I said, whats good for none isn't for another.

I found the cbr 125 too small for me, so the r125 is just right.

ramsey93, I wouldn't waste your money getting one and then going for the yamaha in a couple of months. Go try a few different 125's out for riding position, etc etc, read lots of reviews and then see which is best for you.

Yes you probably will drop it, I have done mine and got away with just a couple of easy repairable scratches,

I don't regret my decision, I took my time and researched what would be right for me.

Good Luck, and come and join us over here in Kent for a ride out sometime :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

Best 125

I would take a good look at the YBR for a first bike . You need to consentrate on passing that test so you need something practical and easy to ride . Don't spend too much dosh but enough to avoid the dogs!

Save yer money for when you pass then look at the nice stuff

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Dropping it

I've been riding for over 4 years and dropped mine today... bloody gravel on the road.

Thank god it was ugly to start with.

Reply to this Topic
ramsey93

Oct 09

ramsey93 says:

dropping it continued..

i will say now that i am worried about dropping it. especially if it is going to be the yzf. yet a second hand yzf next april would probably cost around 2k. and if i get it with crash bungs on it. surely that would help to a certain degree the fairings staying in tact. although i do know the handlebar ends and footrests would probably get scuffed up.

plus i dont really want to buy a enduro type or a naked mainly because i think they're silly. nakeds arent especially for an eager 17 year old. enduro type mx things are for off road! so i say keep them there haha. i know im no bradley smith. but hey, ride to live and live to ride?

Reply to this Topic
Custard Tart

Nov 07

Custard Tart says:

Best 125

Interesting debate...I set my heart on a CBR125 replica and hated it, so hardly rode it. The "wrists bent backwards" riding position did nothing but add fuel to an intermittent RSI problem in my left wrist. So I sold it to a 17 year old who adores it and has no such problems. Each to their own, as we've all said; much as I love sports bikes, I just cant ride them. :lol: The YBR was abused by its previous owner, has 21,000 miles on an 05 plate but is virtually bullet-proof (tho not drop-proof!) & reliable. Mind you...you seem to have made your mind up what you want before even riding anything (I assume, could be wrong) so seems a bit pointless asking for others opinions...:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
londonangel

Dec 07

londonangel says:

dropping it

Theres no point in worrying about it...it WILL happen!

I dropped mine on my driveway the first time!, to be honest, only suffered a couple of minor cratches which were easily sorted, it bounced quite well!!

I'm biased but I'd say go for the yzf, I know I'm more comfortable oin a sports bike so I think the transition to a 600 sports will be ok considering the yzf is pretty much near on R6 size!

I love it, and if you want to look at mine early next year if you consider buying a 2nd hand one, you won't be disappointed!

Reply to this Topic
ramsey93

Oct 09

ramsey93 says:

i never said i had made up my mind. if i had i wouldnt be asking you all now. i was just saying that this is the bike i would like. and wanted to see how many of you agreed or diagreed with me and why.:smile

i was actually looking at the red version as ive already got red boots n helmet. and i like the red colour. would get noticed more easily...  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices