You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > 25 year break

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jemerdo

Oct 09

jemerdo says:

25 year break

Like many old duffers, I jumped from 50cc mopeds on to 250s of all sorts as a lad, and also I am ashamed to say a GPZ600R for a while.

25 years on, kids grown up, mortgage paid I got my full license through the DAS. I want a sports bike, or something a bit special looking if it's a naked. Something to polish and fettle and take out on hot evenings and sundays. I've read all sorts of horror stories about novice riders and sports bikes, but don't feel that I'm either a total novice or Mr Invincible either. I ride in trials on a Gas Gas 300 - but when I started trials up again, people told me a 300 would rip up tarmac and dislocate my shoulders! It did neither.

I have the sense and patience to ride slowly and get back into riding, but will never be riding more than 1000 miles a year, and seriously don't want to get injured - life's too good.

I'm 46, 6ft 2 and a bit under 15 stone, pretty healthy and go to the gym when my wife tells me. I like to think I've a few years biking ahead of me. Trouble is, I've sat on street triples and 675s - the quality doesn't look great, I've sat on GSXRs and Blades and 600s - but I'm not sure if I can hack it, I've sat on a 750 Brutale - too small! I don't want a trailee or a BMW, Tourers don't really give me a buzz - so what bike?:huh:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (08 October 2009 20:39)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

For great rides

Check out that looooooooovely B4192 from Swindon to Hungerford - always use it if I'm coming across to George White's.

Take it steady though...:smile

Reply to this Topic
jemerdo

Oct 09

jemerdo says:

Happy Birthday

Got my birthday card from the wife this morning - it said "go on then - order it". So I did. Put a deposit on a new Thruxton today, which will do me fine.

I've seen a few modifications on the web to do as well, so that gives me a few winter jobs too.

What more can a bloke ask for on his birthday!:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Bah

My last birthday saw me get dumped.

Bastard.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Welcome & Happy Birthday.

Welcome back. There are a lot of us old fogies!
Was about to suggest a second hand GSX750F and then read about the Thruxton. That will probably suit you too.
Enjoy and a belated Many Happy Returns...
Andy

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Jemerdo

Belated Happy Birthday, you lucky chap, enjoy your new bike  when it arrives :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
davidstowe358

Jun 08

25 years

Hayabusa or ZZR1400

Reply to this Topic
minkyhead

Jan 05

minkyhead says:

welcome back

welcome back   ..  

i would advise  not to much too soon      ...ive been riding      35 years       and  enjoyed every bike i have   owned     ..

i have owned and ridden   blackbirds  busas    gsxrs  ect ect        but have buit myself up to them      ..i will readily admit  that the hard charging sports bikes are still a real  handfull ..not  recomended  for investigating 14000 revs       when ridden as designed and  no previous refrece point  to work off    ..i  really mean it   in a nice way  ..your eys will be like saucers at 10k revs      :lol:

with a huge break and a  das course    ..only   please be carful     ..im just a bit concerned that gsxr 1000  ridden onece a month for 75 miles     may be   a recipe for disaster      ..the top end on these is like being shot out of a gun  a slight crest or series of ripples may give     a huge problem   

things turn full circle   ..i ran litre plus bikes for 25years      ..i forgot how much fun coud be had on smaller machines 

100bhp  will  get your attention   big time  for the 1st couple of years     

ive recently  borrowed a suzuki gladius   and its a  amzazingly good bike  so much fun unintimidating     but  fast and  fun     ..the old  sv engine is a brilliant peice of enginerring    ..a great  motorcycle engine      ..power low where u need it  not too much   ..but  a real peppy fun  ride    

naked     polish            sylish  fast  fun    kwack    z 750 .

..triumph   speed tripple   ... good luck 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices