Skip to content

Discuss This Moto Morini financial troubles latest: "We're working as normal" General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Moto Morini financial troubles latest: "We're working as normal"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Newbigging  says:

Moto Morini financial troubles latest: "We're working as normal"

Moto Morini has spoken exclusively to MCN about exactly what its recent step in to voluntary liquidation means for owners, buyers and dealers. The Italian manufacturer made the decision to enter in to voluntary liquidation in September after not paying staff or suppliers for the month. Unlike liquidation of a UK company which generally leads to the company being broken down...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 October 2009 14:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Hope the company pulls through ok, their bikes are a bit on the pricey side though for what they are.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Begining of the end

So staff and suppliers aren't being paid but its business as usual?? So who is building the new bikes and where are the parts coming from???

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

This May Be....

Due to not completing a big money order on time (or too late) so they opt to waver a few months until the moneys back, Ducati used to do it for years and years in the 80's and early 90's. although that methodology killed off bimota.

Reply to this Topic
Paul1958

Oct 09

Paul1958 says:

Moto Morini

The position is not unusal in the current market indeed many manufacturers have taken production holidays faced with lower demand and a large stock of unsold bikes. After visiting the factory this week I can confirm that all the components are in place, completed engines, frames, wheels etc to build bikes just as soon as the market returns. Morini's sales have increased but dealers and importers have reduced stock to try and preserve cash. Unlike some other manufacturers Morini do not have a large stock of completed bikes with most stock held at the component level which will allow the flexibility to react to the market when it returns. Will they survive? Well 90% of there suppliers are with 100 Km of the factory and with some goodwill and a new investor Morini have several models which will sell in enough numbers to create profit and growth for the company. Remember Morini may be the first of many looking for new money the only difference will be that many others will need significantly  more cash than Morini to bail them out of trouble.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

You'd have to be mad to bail out Moto Morini. I can only assume they sell well in other markets as they are about as common on UK roads as the Unicorn.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

wings...

That'll be more down to pricing and dealers than the quality of the bikes or such...

I hope they survive. If they've not massively over-produced and they haven't ran astronomical debts then they DESERVE to survive. Their bikes look good and I bet they go good too! They produce rare little treasures and I only hope they keep on producing them.

Reply to this Topic
morinipete

Nov 05

morinipete says:

I was down at the factory on Monday too (5th). Everything seemed very relaxed and normal and we knew about the non-production of bikes in October months ago (as they said this would be the situation when it was discussed months back). Everyone was involved in other activities and there was plenty going on. Including working on the race bikes "which they dont support" :)

The fact with Morini (unlike Ducati) is that they don't have all their eggs in one basket and were doing work on a 400cc micro-car engine (for another company) when we were there and have on-going spares work, etc, for decades of Franco Morini engine production, etc. I also talked to Franco Lambertini who said it's simply an issue of the Morini family having paid for everything up front out of their own pockets for the last three or four years of development (there are no share holders) and now they'd like some other financial backer to come in and assist. They'd hoped for some pay back about now, but obviously no one could have predicted the recession.

Also as a small concern cash flow is vital. It seems what has happened is that importers and retailers have held back on payments and reduced stock levels to protect themselves, which is understandable.

I dont think anyone need worry about Morini too much as they have a new bike, engine and facilites, and a tiny work force and low overheads (and they sub-contract for loads of other people). It''ll be a Ducati/Aprillia/Cagiva which'll be in the news soon and that will NOT be peanuts to fund.

Reply to this Topic
corsarochris

Oct 09

corsarochris says:

Moto Morini Factory

Like Paul and Pete I was at the factory last week.

As well as continuing production of the various models (with 2010 models being prepared for despatch) we also caught a glimpse of those under development - including the Motard (as revealed in MCN and Motociclismo last month).

I've had a Corsaro for the last three years, and I can honestly say it's a reliable, exciting bike. It's taken me all over the UK - and back up from the dealer has been first class. There may not be many in the UK (although the importer is slowly expanding the network of showrooms), but they sell well enough in Germany, Spain and France, as well as Italy. If everyone here wanted one they'd be even more expensive! They're for individuals and enthusiasts, just as they were back in the 70s and 80s.

You ride your own bike - I'll take the Morini...

CC

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

never forgave them for a bike i had in the late 70's

My second bike and my first brand new one,it was different expensive looked nice but was as reliable as a beeza with the sump plug missing,it drained every penny i earned in rebuilds,it had lights that would of been acceptable in an air raid! and switches that wouldn't be out of place on a lawn mower,The final straw came when i had to push it home nearly 9miles after the crank had snapped and tried to gnaw through the casings,I had it rebuilt at great expense and sold it ,Why oh why didn't i buy a yamaha or a Suzuki or any of the japanese options like my mates did ? it taught me a lesson i never forgot!  No wonder they are bloody rare

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices