Skip to content

Ask an Expert Stupid question from a newbie Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Stupid question from a newbie

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

carolineinoz

Jun 09

carolineinoz says:

Stupid question from a newbie

I will start by admitting that my technical knowledge consists of knowing where to find the tyres and handlebars. So, on that note...

My poor little ER-6f was callously left in the downpour earlier today. Pulling into my garage (about 15 mins later), I noticed quite a large amount of steam/smoke rising from the engine block. Other than a strong 'heat' smell, there was no noticeable burning smell. I then noticed a clear liquid dripping from the belly pan.

Now, I'm hoping that the techies out there will say that yes, I am being stupid and the steam was caused by the rain being boiled by the engine. However, I have ridden in the rain before and never noticed this before. Is the ER-6 known for rain settling on the engine?

As I say, probably a stupid question, and hopefully when I check the bike in the dry garage in the morning, it will be steam free...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (09 October 2009 19:55)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

15 mins

In that time all the water above the engine will be dripping down so it's quite conceivable that the bike will be steaming 15 mins later.

If it was spewing steam whilst the engine was running then I'd be worried.

If there's liquid dripping, just stick your finger in it, rub it and smell it. Oil will be.... oily, petrol will stink as such and water will be... like water.

Reply to this Topic
carolineinoz

Jun 09

carolineinoz says:

Still steaming

Thanks for the reply, philehidiot. I did stick my finger in the dripping liquid yesterday and it did definitely seem to be water.

I had another look today and the bike is still a bit wet. After a few minutes of running the engine, the hot smell and steam again appeared (whilst the engine was running - it disappears almost instantly when shut off).

It seems to be mainly coming from around the radiator fins (which admittedly, are a little grubbier than they should be). I have checked the coolant level, and all appears ok there. Not sure where to look next, or just assume it's only water and ride anyway?

Reply to this Topic
carolineinoz

Jun 09

carolineinoz says:

Panic over

Right, took it out again today and thank God, no more steam!!! Seems it was a stupid question in the first place. Will chalk it up to experience...

Reply to this Topic
nj74

Feb 10

nj74 says:

Not Stupid

I've had my ER6n for just over a month, this week it rained really hard, loads of surface water etc. The steam from the radiator was amazing, I though a pipe had burst - dials steamed up. as did my visor every time i stopped. Same liquid dripping down etc. It is just the wet, and the dripping is due to the angle when on the stand. They really should warn you in the manual....I nearly took it back to the dealer, luckily I waited!

Reply to this Topic
wynner

Jan 04

wynner says:

just check

your coolant level when the engine's cold. If there is no loss, you will be OK.

As you guessed, it's the outside of the radiator drying off due to the hot coolant inside.

Reply to this Topic
neillspain

May 10

neillspain says:

steamy radiator

thanks to this forum,

exaclly the same thing just happened to me. Got caught in a downpour and when I got into my garage I noticed steam coming from the engine and water dripping onto the floor. I checked it again this morning and noticed I hadn't lost any coolant. Started up the engine and again steam was coming from the radiator fins. I'm hoping that it's because the radiator is still wet. Will try it again later when it's dried off a bit.

Thanks everyone as I was panicking thinking at least 300 euros for a new radiator.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices