Skip to content

Discuss This Donington Park given two week reprieve World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Donington Park given two week reprieve

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Donington Park given two week reprieve

Following reports in the National press suggesting that Donington Park will lose the 2010 Formula One race, the Leicestershire circuit has been granted a two week extension by F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone to prove the necessary funding is in place. With its F1 future hanging in the balance next years WSB and BSB races could also be in jeopardy if...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (14 October 2009 10:47)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

at least they can extend the airport!

If they fail at least the airport could be extended!, for years donington have been greedy and put the spectators last! it was a ridiculous proposal to undertake without the funding in place,however with the benefits to the regions economy i have a feeling this project will get bailed out,sadly i don't see donington taking any heed or giving any better value to the paying customer,i have been going to the track since 1978 and it has got worse and worse and like a lot of people i know i was gutted when the gp went there, so much so that my attendance to place has dwindled to as little as possible, Silverstone will make the gp special again i'm sure of that and can't wait to see it,donington will scrape through this but if they deserve to? that's a different matter

Reply to this Topic
snjphotographer

Feb 09

lets buy donnington.

how about, we all put 100 quid into a bank account, and we all just jointly buy donington park, have a vote on who runs it, thoses who bought in get free entry, and we decide what happens :)   how much you reckon it would cost?

Reply to this Topic
KeefyPee

Oct 08

KeefyPee says:

Proposed Donington Buyout

I agree with snjphotographer! I'll pledge £100 right now! Maybe, we could set up a website & start offering shares! Brilliant! As a start, I think I even have an old bog in the shed that is cleaner than those at MotoGP this year! I'll even throw in a brand new bog roll! All we have to do now is convince Gillett that he needs to sell. Given his very uncomfortable position at the moment, I don't think that it would be too hard. Maybe, we can also ask Bernie to stump up some cash? Any other takers?!?!

Reply to this Topic
KeefyPee

Oct 08

KeefyPee says:

Pedantic, I know

Michael,

Just to be absolutely correct, Gillett & the company haven't been given any reprieve. Donington are currently in breach of the contract, and have been given two weeks to amend that breach.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

Somehow I don't think that we've heard the last of a certain Bernard Ecclestone .... the old sod is cooking up a plan, but I'm damned if I know what it is!

Reply to this Topic
bobbinz

Mar 03

bobbinz says:

Access!!?

I know the subjects been touched on before but I just can't see how they hope to get people to the circuit. Even if the development gets done. Like many of you I find gettin in on a bike 'early doors' is do-able, just. Gettin out is a pain! - Traffic "control" is a joke and remember that's on a bike. Put the F1 types in their cars into the same infrastructure and it'll be carnage. I read pulic transport below, but I can't see that working - the only model that does is at the NEC, but I think the concentrated numbers there are fewer and who wants to pay an additional cost to park their vehicle on top of the access ticket price? - you didn't expect it to be free did you? Being a old git, I seem to remember a few years back, Silverstone gettin into trouble with Bernie and friends re access. I think it cost ultimatums a few bob to put right - hey ho! T

Reply to this Topic
FATFRYER

Aug 02

FATFRYER says:

LETS BUY DONNINGTON!!!!!!

Just imagine how much we could make useing it to park holiday makers cars for a fortnight at a time lets say £60 a go.

after they have done messing it up to cater f1 that might be all its fit for,it will be one of the fasted bus transfers you have ever had from car to departures 

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

I would not bet that it will all in tears.

Reply to this Topic
RogerRSV

Jul 09

RogerRSV says:

Donington Park.

Just like the ageing Spitfire (we once had many in this country but let them go), I have a terrible feeling that this wonderful, historic circuit has seen it's best days and I'm really not sure how Donington can pick itself up and move forward. Personally I don't care whether F1 goes there or not, it's a bike circuit, possibly the best in the land and to think that major two-wheeled events here could be drawing to a close is literally heart breaking. In these day's when investors pour money into football, I can only hope that someone sees the value of this circuit and puts in the necessary cash to make it a world beating motor sports location - no half measures this time, no papering over the cracks, a total overhaul to make Donington a circuit that is a must for all major motorsport's calenders in the year.

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Bye bye Donington

No chance of being ready for the races or an improvement by 2 weeks.

Donington did not reinvest in spectator facilities in the good times and now it will pay the ultimate price.

No sympathy from me as I paid high prices for crap facilities for years on end. Bring on Silverstone !

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices