You are in... Forums > General > General > Reflections

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Breadman

May 09

Breadman says:

Reflections

A few reflections from a green, naive biker no more than 1 months worth of powering 125cc biking experience.

1. I'm sh!t. So so so sh!t. Im finding it very depressing how sh!t i actually am on two wheels. (the guy on the ducati who flew past me at double my speed, double my lean angles and double my engine noise can testify to that).
2. Velcro. Velcro is now when and truly in my life - all my gear as a multitude of velcro strips even in places that im yet to understand the need for. 
3. Bikers - while most are friendly there are a lot of snobs out there - I maybe on a 125 but hey, im on two wheels too!! So give us a nod of acknowledgement when you pass rather than turn your nose up!
4. My learning curve ahead is long and steep. The reality of this hit hard turning into a corner the second day of bike ownership. Corner seems fine, set my speed, lean in... all ok... then out of nowhere the corner turns evil and starts getting tighter... and tighter... and tighter (i swear i could hear the corner mock me). I panic. Im running wide to the middle of the road at some speed on a left hand bend and i feel like I can't lean any further (which i realise was almost certainly not the case!). What do I do. All happened so fast and i am sat there without a clue. For some reason i pull the clutch half way in (no idea), roll off the throttle and somehow manage to get through the corner without crossing the double white lines (which my eyes WILL NOT look away from) and onto the windscreen of the hapless fiat owner coming the other way. 
5. Car drivers are crap some are psychotic.
6. The biggest thing I have found - I LOVE being on two wheels, nothing beats it. That means I have to carry on and stick at it and hope I manage to stay rubber side down long enough for me to get good.

I read an article that summed it up: you start off riding with two bags. One for luck one for experience. You start off with the lucky bag full, the experience bag empty - the trick is to make sure you fill the bag of experience before your bag of luck runs out. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (14 October 2009 12:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
salopian

Mar 03

salopian says:

NOOOOOOOO

just to pull you up on your first point. you're not shit. just inexperienced. everybody on here started somewhere, not one of us was born with the supreme ability to ride (except 1. you know who you are... shh don't mention the name)

an instructor told me that if i really must brake whilst cornering, then to dab the rear to tighten the line??? He may have been wrong or just didn't like me:lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices