Skip to content

Discuss This Harley-Davidson closes Buell General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Harley-Davidson closes Buell

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Harley-Davidson closes Buell

In an astonishing move Harley-Davidson has stopped all Buell production and no more Buells will be built – ever! The announcement was made this afternoon by company founder Erik Buell himself in a video posted on the Buell website (link here). A clearly emotional Erik Buell thanked customers for their support and said he was very proud of what the firm had...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 October 2009 14:11)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I think splitpeas155 comments have probably summed things up pefectly.

Reply to this Topic
martyn242

Aug 08

martyn242 says:

At last

This has been a long time coming - having owned a buell xb12s and used it everyday for wark for about 18 months i have found it lacking in every way, In the 18 months of ownership i spent  £1800 on replacing sub-standard parts which routinely broke, including primary casing, rear axle, broken swingarm weld, ecm failure, belt snapping any much more. These bikes are long behind the times, quirky features and good handling are what sell buell but the reputation has been rapidly going down the pan with good reason. A close friend of mine (who is harley staff) has told me and many others never to go near any of their bikes inc buell built within the last 10 years - they are crap!

Reply to this Topic
motoarenaru

Oct 09

motoarenaru says:

=)

Well and a horse-radish with it

Reply to this Topic
jillpolanski

May 09

jillpolanski says:

Its a sad situation

Haven't been able to comment cause I couldn't get signed in, but, ho hum now I have.

Sad situation for Buell, and as for the commetns below, I laughed at some of them.  We have two Buells in the garage both of which are great bikes.  Both have done european tours nah bother at all, and I dont mind screaming from the rooftops that I am gutted!! 

So what did we do when we found out the news we waited a day then contacted Harley Davidson, went down and got another one while we still could. 

I believe HD have cut their nose of  to spite there face, and even though I live in the UK trying to get Buell anything in America and Canada from a HD dealer is like trying to find tits on a fish!!!!  You go in and they have an 1125r and naff all else, how do they expect to sell these amazing bikes???

They have released a lower fairing for the 1125r to help minimise the effect of the mufflers but does anyone know why they are there at all.  Well if you are a fan of Buell then yeah cause you will have asked the question, nothing happens on these bikes by accident!  I would have thought everyone would have realised that by now.

If I wanted to be a sheep I too would go back to a Jap bike, but I dont! As for reliability never had an issue in 8000 miles this year, however last year I spent loads of time waiting for bits for my honda, hmmm go figure??????????

It's a crying shame for those amongst us who dont want to ride a clone, and have a backbone to actually own what we love not giving a damn if it conforms to normality.

Hope you'll be back Buell, in the meantime I'll be enjoying my two and the new one until we see you rise from the ashes, and I'm praying we will

Reply to this Topic
sidewaysdave

Jan 09

sidewaysdave says:

could't agree more !

10 out of 10 regard's your coments bud. Bought my 1st buell (XB12X) beginning of this year after spending too many years on clond japanese sheep. Best bike i've ever owned!

Reply to this Topic
Al904cc

Sep 02

Al904cc says:

Sad news

But not unexpected. Having owned an XB12-R for a couple of years the thing started oxidizing after only 50 dry miles! I had 3 trips to the HD dealer within warranty to replace faulty switches, regulators and cooling fans only to have the replacements sound as bad! This might all sound negative but apart from the dubious build quality the bike itself was very nice to ride. Still didn't come upto the standards of my trusty ol' 900ss Duke though.

Sad to hear that an innovative company like Buell has gone though, I'd rather ride something different than run of the mill. (even if it did have it's faults).

Reply to this Topic
londonboy

Oct 09

londonboy says:

buell closure

its sad that such an inovative company with some awesome bikes is being closed down, with such poor sales results from HD, this seems like a sensible action to take. What also probably didn't help was Buell's video of the small engined bike, designed by Buell but to be sold under the HD marque, being crushed because Buell, wanted nothing to do with the project. I suspect Buell put some noses out at HD (what goes around comes around).

Reply to this Topic
bradbox

Oct 09

bradbox says:

Press to blame?

Buell's never seemed to appear in the motorbike press enough - think of the last time that a non Japanese/Triumph appeared in a group test. All motorbike manufacturers thrive off regular press news and reviews, and they seldom appeared in UK magazines. So it's hardly surprising. To help prevent any further closures, it's important the press open up to other manufacturers (and models) to help aid sales.

Reply to this Topic
occasionalDabbler

Oct 09

Well, I LOVE mine

I bought an XB12R four years ago and I can't imagine ever selling it. I went to the dealers looking at Ducatis and came out with the Buell. There's something very appealing about a modern chassis with a pre-historic motor, no-one can say these bikes don't handle and in the real world what does it matter that they need twice the capacity to make the same power as a CBR? It cost less, weighs less and handles better. It gives 50mpg and there's no crappy chain to adjust every week. Oh, and I ride it in all weathers, which I don't think would be an option for a Ducati even now. It's a blow that MV are in trouble too, that was going to be my 'lottery win' bike if ever the day came :(

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices