Skip to content

Discuss This Government did not research safety benefit of new riding test General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Government did not research safety benefit of new riding test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Government did not research safety benefit of new riding test

No assessment was made of the impact the new riding test would have on casualties, it emerged last week. Ministers went ahead with drastic changes to the test regime with no indication of how many lives and injuries it would save on the road. The revelation came as the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and road safety minister Paul Clark were grilled...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 October 2009 15:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
undercovermole

May 09

Of course there was no research conducted to assess the likely reduction in casualty figures.

firstly when the EU says jump we the British are at the front of the queue asking how high and secondly the DSA is an organisation so full of its own importance that it would never dream of conducting research once it had decided on a certain course of action.

What the DSA says it wants is exactly what the DSA does or gets, there is no one regulating them or holding them to account.

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Dozens?

I wonder what the true number of acidents are, i saw 2 whilst waiting to take my tests.  Mod one is a joke, those cones give a false sense of speed and trying to judge distance is quite difficult.  32mph is really quite slow but on a big flat car park feels a lot faster.

Reply to this Topic
psmith51

Sep 07

psmith51 says:

New Driving Test

Today being 38 years to the day that I first rode a proper bike on the road all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have to take this stupid test. Alright, I suppose riding around the block in two different directions whilst forgetting what the examiner (on foot) looked like when he stepped into your path for the emergency stop ,was perhaps not adequate, even for the early 1970's, but I fail to see the relevance of 31 or 32mph or whatever 50kph equates to, other than it happens to be the urban speed limit in most other EU countries, something our silly Labour government seemingly failed to recognise or they would have set the maneouvre speed at 30mph or less and thus negating the need for these silly off-road test sites. Here on the Isle of Wight we no longer even have a test centre and candidates have to take an hour's ferry ride to the North Island.

Things were much simpler in thoses days, 250cc at 16, no helmets, no BHP restrictions, no BMW R1200GS...aahh...I knew some improvements had been made over the years.

Reply to this Topic
mgivogue

Aug 02

mgivogue says:

psmith51 and BMWs

I'm sorry... did you you just imply that the BMW R1200GS is an improvement?

I think I'd rather get my left nut crushed or go ride an old BSA than be seen on 99% of the current BMWs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
robeasley

Jul 06

robeasley says:

New test is a smoke screen

Lets not be fooled by all this improved standards bullshit, it seems quite clear to me that the real reason for the new test process is to discourage new riders.  There is no doubt in my mind that it has absolutely nothing to do with improving road safety other than reducing the number of motorcyclists on the roads (ie, less bikes on the road, less bike accidents). 

To make matters worse there appears to be collusion regarding existing licence owners "mysteriously" losing their entitlement to ride a motorcycle when replacing/updating their licence details.......another sinister ploy (by whoever is responsible) to remove motorcyclists from the roads.

The whole process is an absolute discrace imposed by mis-guided individuals who have no idea what they are doing.

If advanced training, such as the Police have,  was required after basic training/testing then I can see that would genuinely improve rider skills but this new system is complete bullshit driven by a hidden agenda.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Labour?

Don't think for one moment this is a simple party political issue. The real problem is not who is at the helm of a rudderless ship, but fixing the rudder.

The Driving Standards Agency has become one of those monolothic corporate entities with seemingly no culpability, no competence and no clue, but which is capable - by virtue of nothing more than brash assumption and self-declaration - of riding rough-shod over the democratic process, bureaucratic oversight and technical investigation. With no apparent sense of guilt at their absence of ability or recognition of credibility shortfalls, instead they resort to playing the political game of obfurscation and prevarication.

The civil servants requirement, when facing their political lords and masters is to ANSWER THE BLOODY QUESTION.

In short, it should have become apparent to even the most distracted expenses-fiddling politician that the DSA has become a law unto Itself, deluded into thinking it has no need to justify its actions with either fact or responsibility.

The saving to the public purse could be in the order of hundreds of millions of pounds if they were all sacked, buildings and sites closed and sold off and their competency put under judicial scrutiny. This, we already knew. There was nothing wrong with the old training regime. This, we also knew.

Now, it seems we can add savings to the NHS caused by their dereliction of duty causing the very injuries they were supposed to be preventing and failing to carry out reasonable jurisprudence before implementing legislation that they were warned could only result in a negative outcome.

And for that they need to be held accountable to the full extent of the law.

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Ridiculous

I live 90 miles away from these stupid test centres as a 17 year old I'm pretty strapped for cash as it is the total cost for me to to the module 1 test is 131 pounds, motorcycles are my passion, but I've had to go ahead and get a car as a more practical option...LAME!

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

how about

with these new emmisions laws, ie no more 2 strokes, the current 125s dont have the umpph of the old 125's. i could be wrong, but 4 strokes produce approx half the power of the same size engined 2 stroke. why dont they make the learner legal 250cc in stead of 125 and the kids limited to 50 cc could ride up to 100 cc.

just a theroy but food for thought ;)

Reply to this Topic
SquirrelNutkins

Sep 09

Sorry to show my ignorance but apart from swerving around cones and dedicated test centres how does this vary from the old Part 1 / Part 2 test which used to be carried out when I first failed my test 19 years ago? I've decided to give it another go, have just passed my CBT and will be taking the DAS in the new year so I'm very interested in the test I will have to take next year.

Reply to this Topic
gabbro

May 09

gabbro says:

Guess work

If no assessment of the impact the new riding test would have on casualties was conducted, it follows that the agencies had little or no evidence to suggest that the inclusion of this test would add to rider safety. Worse, a review might have shown that the test detracts from rider safety. It seems that they were  either guessing or relying on gut feel, either way the basis for implementing this expensive change is weak.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices