Skip to content

Products MCN Biking Britain survey: Top 10 waterproof boots Boots

You are in... Forums > Products > Boots > MCN Biking Britain survey: Top 10 waterproof boots

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Rob Hull  says:

MCN Biking Britain survey: Top 10 waterproof boots

Each week we bring you the latest results of our massive reader survey. From the votes of 12,000 readers, here are your most waterproof riding boots. Save £££s on motorcycle boots 1. TCX Competitzione S Gore-Tex, RRP: £209.99These feature TCX’s Torsion control system, restricting the flex of the foot in the boot to prevent breaks, and also have a Gore-Tex lining. There’s a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 October 2009 15:50)

Post a message in Boots

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
markonhisgs

Dec 09

markonhisgs says:

Meaningless waterproof boot survey

The results of this survey are meaningless.  Why aren't the boots graded for waterproofing? If you rate the boots for comfort, it must be that you tried them on. Did you try them on/test them in the rain? Please don't tell me that waterproof boots are waterproof, I have ridden hundreds of miles, with wet feet, in waterproof boots.

What does the word 'quality' mean (something to you, something else to me)? Similarly,  the word 'looks' is meaninglesss.

Surely the test of a waterproof boot is how waterproof it is. Waterproofing is the key quality.

Rant over.

Reply to this Topic
ZX12rNinjaman

Oct 08

Boot survey

Yeah sorry, I'm with "markonhisqs" with this review.  Completely pointless and uninformative.  These reviews are supposed to help the likes of us bikers that are out in the real world choose the correct boot/gear, without the need for us to systematically work our way through each manufacturers products (and our hard earned).  These reviews should not just be knocked up because you have half a page to fill in your 20%Paper/80%bike exchange and mart.

Here's a couple of my findings when it comes to so called waterproof boots, perhaps other riders might find it a little more useful.

First boots I bought, H&G PSX 2, (12yrs ago) awesome, never leaked, not once in 60,000 miles of commuting into London everyday through all imaginable weather conditions (including snow).

Once they wore out I got another pair with the new improved H&G markings, including the all new "Made in Taiwan" label.  Terrible, leaked at the first sign of rain and fell to pieces in half the time of the first pair.

Aqua boot (basically a quality lined welly) not one leak until the age/rubber battle took it's toll on the heel.

Bullson, waterproof short boot, looked OK, could pass as an office boot under your trousers, couldn't cope with heavy rain at motorway speed, took them back and had to drag the "Trading Standards pack" out with Welling H&G but got a replacement pair, new ones just as "Pony" as the first pair

Diadora waterproof race boot, nice boot, quality construction, £130, as waterproof as a pair of sandles.

Aldi waterproof boots (don't laugh, a man will resort to anything if his feet get cold and wet enough) £29.99, not waterproof in the heavy stuff that January can throw your way but a lot more anti-leak than the Diadoras and a quarter of the price.

I think what we are looking at is a general decline in the quality of Motorcycle gear across the board, it's hard to find any products that do what they say on the tin these days whether it be coats, boots, trollies or gloves. 

I hope my comments are of use to some of you out there and if anyone has some helpful comments about biking gear that I haven't tried, please add so that we could actually construct a useful buyers guide.

Reply to this Topic
ZX12rNinjaman

Oct 08

Boot Update

Quick update on my previous, now using a pair of Spada Wave waterproof boots, so far so good.  It's been quite a cold January and these have kept the old "tootsies" nice and warm on the commute in (15 Miles of motorway speed A2), then the usual "Dodge the pedestrian with face buried in smartphone" routine.

Got caught in a reasonable deluge of wet stuff and lost not a jott of warmth or dryness in the process.  Certainly better than all the boots listed in my comments below, other than my first H&G but they were sporty look boots, these are weather boots.

Hope this is a little more helpful.

Reply to this Topic
branbymw

Oct 13

branbymw says:

Sidi Black Damp

I've got a pair of the Sidi Black Rain boots, (or an earlier version thereof, had them a few years, but they look identical) they're not waterproof anymore. Heels seem to still be keeping the water out, and waterproof trousers keep water out of the top, but I've had a couple of hour long rides in rain recently, and the toes leak like a seive. Won't be buying another pair, I realise mine are a few years old now, but if they've been looked after and I can't see why the waterproof lining would suddenly stop being so. It's a bit disconcerting to see them listed in a top 10 of waterproof boots.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle