Skip to content

Discuss This Spies clinches WSB title after epic rookie season World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Spies clinches WSB title after epic rookie season

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Spies clinches WSB title after epic rookie season

At the end of another epic World Superbike season, American rookie Ben Spies clinched the title by just six points from veteran Noriyuki Haga. In a season that was expected to be wide open with countless race winners the year was utterly dominated by the two men who claimed a staggering 22 wins and 39 podiums between them in the 14-round...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (26 October 2009 09:02)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simoncbr900rr

Jun 07

well done

congratulations to spies who didn`t and would not have needed his team mate to pull over,let him through...fabby was working for his team mate by taking spies out and costing spies 25 points  earlier in the season...all these whining twats on here saying haga may well have won if fabby let him through are talking bollox,spies just did the least he had to in the last race..if he needed to he would have gone out and won the second race as well........it shows the quality of wsb when a rookie with real riding ability comes in, and who has never ridden the tracks and blitzes the lot of em.........good luck in motogp cos your wasting your time in wsb your in a different league mate 

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Spies

Spies outclassed the whole field , they only got a look in when he had problems . I hope he can go to motogp and make an impact , on the results not the airfences .Well done Ben

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

Spies

Even as a Ducati fan im happy Spies has won the title as he's a great guy and can only be a good thing for motorcycle racing as a whole. However I certainly wont be going out and buying an R1 as a result, it's clear that the title is down to the talent of Ben (i think he would have won it more easily on either the Duke, the Aprilia or either the Honda or Suzuki (given he has spent most of his career on screaming fours) Tom Skyes has did nothing with the R1 all year - so i guess we will see next year in WSB how fast the thing really is with good riders on it (as opposed a great rider like Spies)

Once again the Jap riding masses complain about the capacity advantage. Surely anyone can see that season has produced some fantastic racing between V2s V4s IL4s - with no bike having a clear advantage, its clear the rules work. YES DUCATI HAVE AN EXTRA 200CC BUT THE JAPS ALSO HAVE AN EXTRA 5000 RPM!! AS FOUR SMALLER CYLINDERS CAN REV MUCH HIGHER THAN TWO LARGE ONES! but i guess some people will never get that into their thick heads.

Anyway best of luck to Spies at Valencia, he wont have a full factory Rossi spec bike to be able to do a Bayliss but could certainly upset Edwards and Toser

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

Well said merv007

I agree with everything you said. At one time I thought the Ducs had an advantage with the extra 200cc but I am now convinced that there is parity with the way WSBK has set it up. On some tracks one engine configuration may have a slight advantage, but over the entire year it averages out. I just wish that the American promoters (AMA Pro) would adopt WSBK rules.

I also think that unless the R1 is improved for next year that Toseland (and others) will have their work cut out for them to do what Spies has done this year on it.

Go Haga in 2010 !  Go Spies in two weeks !

Reply to this Topic
lancealbon

Aug 08

lancealbon says:

Spies will be on a Factory Bike!

Everyone keeps saying Spies won't have the same spec bike as Rossi! Yamaha have have said they will be giving Spies a full factory supported bike but he'll be in a satelite team. Also, Spies will have his own crew chief, Tom Houseworth, with him so expect the world from them both. No excuses Spies. Same tyres, same bike, your own crew chief and your own skill. Bring it on. I'm excited to see the racing. Rossi 1st, maybe Spies 2nd! Who knows. Watch out for Marco Simoncelli as well. He's already kicked Spies' ass on his own turf with the new Aprillia. If you ask me, Simoncelli could be the next Rossi! I mean lokk at that hair. lol

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

Spies was superb yesterday. All elbows and knees, fantastic riding style.

Sitting on the start line before both races you could just see he was going to convert.

Hope he goes well in MotoGP.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

Brilliant

What a great job Spies has done in his rookie season and he deserves the WSB crown but you have to  feel for Haga,so close yet so far!
well well well I see dowdy p spouting crap again.
Do you understand anything about world championship racing....obviously not....MORON.

Reply to this Topic
Stradacaster

Oct 08

Stradacaster says:

So there you have it, Ben Spies dominated WSB and didn't piss off everybody in doing it.  Will he do the same in MotoGP?  Not nearly as easy a task dominating the likes of Rossi, Stoner, Lorenzo, and even the Pedrobott!  But Ben won't be 'lost' out there like Toseland is, he has already run as a wild card in two previous MotoGP's and blew away the Suzuki factory riders while riding their 'mule. bike!  It may take him a little while to get on pace with the front runners, but the chances are good that that is just what he will do.

2010 looks to be a stunner, what with Rossi defending, Stoner in winning form again, Lorenzo vastly improving, Hayden starting to come to grips with the Ducati, and Spies adding additional interest to the field.

Reply to this Topic
Beer&Darts

Apr 08

Beer&Darts says:

dowdy. p

Ahh ... "dowdy. p". There you go once again, polluting this good website with your unsubtantiated, ill-considered and unwarranted opinions. You are a self-important waste of web-space.

I'd have thought that after posting this same horse-shit on four occasions on under different articles (people, take a look at this guy's profile page) that you'd have finally got the message, but clearly you haven't. Let me spell it out for you: Nobody here agrees with you, or has a bad word to say about Haga or his acheivements apart from you.

I personally couldn't give a fuck that you say that predicted that "hagas not good enough" six months ago - do you want a medal or something? Do want people to tell you how wonderful you are? A round of applause perhaps? Wake up and get real.

You need to have a word with yourself about why you think it's clever to go on until the cows come home about the so-called failings of well-loved and respected riders. What are your issues? Seriously, you should seek professional help about your problem and in the meantime - if you can't even give a fraction of the justification that your comments require - pack it in.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Just opinions

I agreed with what someone said recently when JT finished last and it got real heated on here. Which is let people say what they want on this site (so long as not really offensive or personal) and if you disagree just put your counter view. We shouldn't get upset if someone on this site chooses to criticise Haga even if his timing is a bit untactful! At the end of the day Haga is a big boy that got paid a shed load of money to win the championship. My personal view is that Haga's championship credentials were put in doubt when he crashed the Ducati three times the first time he rode it. Sure he was unlucky to be against a certain Ben Spies but how many times can a real champion be unlucky? But that is just my opinion, lets hear yours.  

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices