Skip to content

Ask an Expert Old Biker Returns.... Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Old Biker Returns....

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DaddyBish

Oct 09

DaddyBish says:

Old Biker Returns....

After 12 years away from biking I am about to launch myself back onto bikes.   The thought for now is either an ex-Police bike (Honda ST1300 or BMW R11) or something a little smaller in the shape of a Bandit 650.

The question to you my new friends is where can I get ( very bright ) Yellow jacket that is four season with CE approved protection?  I know the Police have a jacket that fits the bill but can I find a copper to ask!  

I am also keen to find a flip up lid and am interested in what you think is a good buy?

My budget for the bike is £3-4k with £1k for clothes.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (27 October 2009 19:31)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

There was a thread on here only

a few days ago, asking on opinions of three different jackets with plenty of yellow fluoro and armour in, Weise, RST and Rayven, also others such as Hein Gericke make were mentioned, Many of the makes have something like that in their range, you will probably be looking for something with either integral waterproofing or a removable membrane, also removable thermal liner, and something with venting facility for hotter days. Happy shopping!

Reply to this Topic
NeiljohnUK

Oct 09

NeiljohnUK says:

snap!

I'm recently back on two wheels.

As far as the jacket goes, I went with a good leather set-up with matching trousers and wear a seperate overjacket (Arco's top of the line with thermal fluorie waistcoat removed), in wet weather adding the matching over trousers. The advantages of seperate layers and washability make it the better bet for me, and if it gets too warm I can wear just a thin waistcoat over the leathers.

Helmet, try to find the one that fits you best, the BMW and Schuberth helmets are the best flip-ups I've found, but they don't fit me too well, BMW's dealers have their top of the range ones for ~325, Schuberth's top units are over £400.

The Caberg Trip has a good SHARP rating and is popular.

Reply to this Topic
michaelbrit

Mar 09

michaelbrit says:

Old Biker Returns

DaddyBish

Try E Bay - they have loads of ex police flourecent jackets for sale at resonable prices. Also look at last weeks Motor Cycle News - there was a section that was dedicated to hi -viz jackets and motorcycle gear that you might also want to look at.

Happy Biking!!

Reply to this Topic
DaddyBish

Oct 09

DaddyBish says:

Daddy-Bish and choices

Thanks for the replies.  Tried on a Caberg Trip and loved it - good fit, the sun vbisor did not touch my nose even when jumping up and down and in all a sound investment.

Still can not find a true Hi-Viz jacket.  The Weise Hornet is the closest match but hardly any of the trousers are Hi-Viz.

Now I just need to decide which bike to go for!  Although I was 99% certain on the Honda ST1100 the BMW R1100 was taking my fancy... now the Suzuki Bandit is also looking very nice......

Can anyone recomend an all year round dry boot which offers good protection?

Thanks again guys for the help.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

You shouldn't

really need high viz trousers so much  on a bike (not as much as pedestrians etc.) Darker colours don't show the road dirt so bad. Jacket should be sufficient. I have a pair of fluoro yellow Scott textile trousers, and I look like a road mender! And they show every bit of dirt!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

40 mins

My hivi and white helmet combo (combined with a yellow and white bike and vigorous swearing) meant my 40 minute commute was a mere 25 mins today.

People got out of my way for some reason. Bemused.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
michael986

Oct 09

michael986 says:

Flip up Lids & Clothes

Have a look on ebay for both of the above, some very good offers on at the mo. All genuine and new,

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Welcome back

just keep it quiet from Gizzabreak! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Kid on Policeman

What's with all the (Ex police bike, Hi Viz Yellow jacket, flip up lid (no doubt white) etc). Are you going to go around pretending your a cop, if so, your one sad bloke and need to get a life, I have seen about three dickheads doing exactly that this year already. There are plenty good bikes and (easy to be seen in) clothing out there at reasonable prices for people who want to be proper bikers and not kid-on-cops

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Typical BAB

What is this thing with BAB's and Dayglo :wacko:

I will answer the sensible question though ref lids.

I reckon the Caberg trip is excellent.

Of course you never know for sure until you land on it, but in terms of fit and finish, I reckon it's excellent for the money.

bryfor59 says:

Kid on Policeman

What's with all the (Ex police bike, Hi Viz Yellow jacket, flip up lid (no doubt white) etc). Are you going to go around pretending your a cop, if so, your one sad bloke and need to get a life, I have seen about three dickheads doing exactly that this year already.

I know exactly what you mean.

There's a guy I see around my way quite regularly who's even gone as far has having the stripes put on his BMW.

When I've gone past him I've looked over my shoulder, and just shaken my head.

Complete Tosser.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices