Skip to content

Ask an Expert shifting without clutch? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > shifting without clutch?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JKAPUS

May 09

JKAPUS says:

shifting without clutch?

I am trying to figure out the best way to shift gears,smoothly.I remember as a teen after taking off, not using the clutch,if you timed it right? of course this was on dirt bikes in sand,less trachion of course,but it seems like when i shift my 750 I can't get the clutch lever to operate fast enough to shift smooth.It has been 30 years since I rode and don't want to mess up my gears,but It seems like when I'm on my wifes 200cm by the time i shift the clutch is not all the way in and it seems smoother?I know it sounds crazy, and I have heard of people shifting without the clutch,If you know what you are doing!Could anyone tell me about this subject.seems like by the time I get the clutch in I miss the syncro timing,and it is cluncky.when i was young and dumb,it was what my friends told me to do,but I'm afraid to try it now.I even remember down shifting? Thanks for any advise.seems like a dumb question.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 October 2009 04:59)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clutch

As you know a clutch is for shifting gears smoothly,ok you can upshift with a jerk if in a hurry, but downshifting will harm your box and transmission and knock your fillings out,if using your clutch and it feels clunky it may be the wrong clutch adjustment or the engine oil,just try to keep the engine buzzing a little when changing up or down and always use your clutch:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

30 years

You'll need time to get back into it.

A new bike generally takes me about 2 months to get properly smooth gear changing. Just take it slowly and the smooth changes will come - if you're like me you'll find yourself using less and less clutch and eventually using hardly any on upshifts.

Reply to this Topic
yzfr10000

Apr 05

yzfr10000 says:

shifting without clutch?

I never use a clutch to upshift, nor do most of my racing friends, if you time it right on the downshift you can also change, (but it's not recommended).

Reply to this Topic
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

done about 200 miles on my Bonneville now.

Just bought Triumph Bonneville after 30+ years break from bikes.

Been driving automatic car for over 10 year.

Found it took a few miles to get used to the gear change and braking, especially around town.

I need to be light on the throttle as the bike accelerated faster than any of the old British bikes I've have had all those years ago. 

Disk brakes stop quicker than the old drum brakes, and the feet forward controls (America) took a while to get used to. Bus pulled out on me as I was slowly passing, front brake locked forks dived, dead stop, when I was expecting the brakes to take a fraction of a second longer to come to a stop.

I am just getting the feel of it now,  clutch did take a while to judge, but I know now where it begins to bite.

Getting used to which gear I can pull away in on a rolling start, in slow moving traffic, it's all coming together now.

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

The manufacturer of your motorbike fitted a clutch for a reason, short shifting is pointless in anything other than a racetrack sistuation where 1/10s count for everything.
Practise using the clutch, stop thinking of it as a switch (in=off out=on) and start treating it like a drive feed system, you may not need to pull the clutch right to the bar on some bikes, some require only a short action to disengage it, pre-loading the gearshift lever often helps with smooth changes too. Re-engaging the clutch progressively is the key to a smooth shift when balanced with the throttle.
In all it's a balancing act between clutch gears and throttle and only practise will tell you the right combination.
Do not use clutchless shifts unless you like the idea of forking out for a gearbox rebuild, even experienced racers can trash a box with a fhandful of bad changes, it's not big and it's not clever.
Kind of like wrenching your front door open with the letterbox because your mate tells you you don't need to use the door handle.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

clutchless upshifts

clutchless upshifts will not wreck your gearbox.

Also, this is not called short shifting.

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Clutchless shifting

When done properly, shifting up without the clutch does not harm the gearbox.  It takes a bit of practice to get it right and over time it will become natural.  It also makes accelerating quickly a lot smoother, as you are only off the throttle for a brief moment.  However, lots of botched clutchless changes will wreck the gearbox.  Clutchless changes from 1st to 2nd are not generally recommended either. 

The key is not to force the gear lever too hard, if it does not slot into gear with normal pressure, you are not rolling off the throttle correctly.

For instructions, see the link below.........

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Riding-skills/2009/July/jul1609-Riding-skills-clutchless-upshifts/?&R=EPI-116794

Reply to this Topic
JKAPUS

May 09

JKAPUS says:

shifting

Thanks for all the info.It does seem to be an art,and I think down shifting would be risky. I just think  back sometimes how I could do it.Of course on a dirt bike in sand there is less traction,thats why I could do it easy.and on a honda 70.I live in florida,lots of sand,Thanks again,I think the combination of what was said about part clutch and easy throtle roll off will work for me.It is always interesting to read this forum.Thanks for the website.

Reply to this Topic
ste birc

Aug 07

ste birc says:

always

shift up the box without clutch. always down the box as i have no slipper clutch so i feather out the clutch when i think the rear will not lock.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices