Skip to content

Discuss This Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Somerfield: We’re intimidated by motorcyclists in helmets

Motorcyclists must remove open-face crash helmets to avoid ‘intimidating’ petrol station staff, a supermarket chain has said. And riders must be ‘earthed’ before filling up to prevent risk of explosion, according to the bizarre policy statement from Somerfield. The supermarket said: ‘We have to consider the feelings and views of our workforce who currently find being approached by someone in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 October 2009 11:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

Fuel

It's not just Somerfields, all forecourt operators have a policy which states riders should remove thier crash helmets and that the bike should be stable and secure before fuel can be dispensed. It's just that most cashiers use common sense and let you just get on with buying petrol.

Sadly there's no real way round this other than just trying to find a local station that recognises you and lets you 'get away' with it.

Boycotting a station doesn't really make any difference, unless you can persuade hunderds or thousands of people to do it. Best bet if you really want to make a point is get a load of you to ride down there to buy fuel on a really busy day - bank holidays are good - get a bike at each pump then take your lid off and refuel as slowly as possible. Buy a few litres then pay with a £50 note. Then ride round the block and do the same again. Chaos in no time and no laws broken.

Reply to this Topic
fozzybear

Sep 09

fozzybear says:

Whilst it's inconvenient, I've been taking my helmet off at petrol stations for years. It only takes a few moments after all. Still put it back on before I leave the shop though.

As for the static nonsense, a lot of service stations, including Somerfields have moble phone masts hidden inside their big signs, yet still tell you not to use your phone!!!

As a police officer I have a little bit of sympathy with the CCTV issue, but not much. Drive offs are the bane of my life, with Somerfields being particularly lax. The CCTV is usually crap anyway.

And if they still had a little thing called service, like when someone actually filled up for you, the there wouldn't be any drive offs!

Reply to this Topic
Katana Paul

Mar 07

Katana Paul says:

I think they're kidding:

"It is our policy to ask all customers at Somerfield petrol forecourts to remove helmets and other headgear."

In Walsall?? Lets just say there's an awful lot of headgear worn in and around Walsall and I'll eat my stinky slippers if even one is asked to remove veils or other apparel!

Reply to this Topic
forklift

Apr 08

forklift says:

constant whinning

Either remove your lid or go else where. There are far more important worries in life than this. This comes up regularly and people moan. Life is to be enjoyed and not moaned about. Pause and think for a moment and reflect over what IS important and what IS NOT. Fuel stations are not ... surely.

Reply to this Topic
aphmitchell

Jan 08

aphmitchell says:

One Rule for All

Im sure I won't be the 1st person to say or think this....

If they are going to make us remove out helmets then they MUST ask a person wearing a Burka to remove their headpiece as it blocks the identity of a petrol pump...

A Somerfield spokesman said staff found riders in helmets intimidating “because they can’t see their face

A Burka is not a religious item and is only worn through choice...

I agree with the poster below, if you don't like it go somewhere else.

Reply to this Topic
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

Morrisons...

I prefer my local Morrisons. They're all pre-pay pumps! I happily sit on the bike, helmet on.... card in, pump away....

Show me one... just one case of someone blowing themselves up due to static !?

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

never do I...

remove my helmet at any petrol station, they either let me ride away with the tank of fuel or I pay.

To touch anything which potentially has petrol on it then to touch your helmet shell can seriously reduce the strength of the outer shell especially if you have a poly carb or similar helmet.  If they want to take on that liability.....

Sunglasses and a hat or wig would be better for doing them over with, plonkers.

Reply to this Topic
cascadeair

Nov 05

cascadeair says:

Go elswhere

The stupidity and prejudice of Somerfield management deserve a biker response. Don't buy petrol there, and don't shop in the market. As to the facts: once you stop and put your foot down on the concrete, you just disharged any staic electricity, which is why no-one can quuote an exposion on the forecourt of a biker. As to the helmet? If the burqa comes off, so will my helmet. Otherwise it's off to my local Total where the guys love bikers in Farnborough and I can browse and shop in my helmet. No more Somerfield for me. And forklift is right. More important stuff to do.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

go somewhere else.  end of.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

So?

For the two seconds it takes to remove your helmet is the really worth boycotting a petrol station? Its understandable that the cashier would feel apprehensive about serving someone with their face covered, and do we really want the non-biking community to see us as faceless nobodies, or as people, who come in, smile, and are polite because whichever we choose is the image they will have of all bikers. Besides, covering your face when you speak to someone is generally considered rude in this country, as all the comments about burqas prove.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices