Skip to content

Discuss This Jailed 166mph biker to appeal General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Jailed 166mph biker to appeal

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Jailed 166mph biker to appeal

A motorcyclist jailed this week for speeding at 166mph on a 60mph road in Scotland plans to appeal against his nine-month sentence, his lawyer said. Neil Purves, 27, was caught in May on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 on an empty stretch of the A702 known as the Dolphinton Straight, near West Linton, Peeblesshire. He was given a five-year driving ban on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 October 2009 16:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

To answer the question below, does a Range Rover doing a ton on the same road go to jail? Well no because that's only 40 over the limit, this t**t was doing a ton over the limit, which is in a completely different ball park. It's idiots like this that give bikers a bad name and causes trouble for the rest of us. The problem is that other sentences handed out by the courts are too light rather than this being too severe.

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

Grow Up Or Shut Up

He's a speeding arsehole who displayed simple disregard for safe speeds.

Should of gone to Knockhill instead.

Its been said a million times, these people ruin the image of people (such as myself) who simply DONT speed at all, or even those who nudge the limit under safe conditions.

160mph is simply what a impotant middle aged loser does to try and feel like a 21 boy, and look at the consequences.

People who complain about this just need to grow some balls and be a man about what they've done.

Wanker.

Reply to this Topic
beedy69

Oct 09

beedy69 says:

Give him a break

I think his sentence was abit harsh , he should of just been banned for a year or so but prison, you get less for rape. All bikers who say they dont speed are lying, at the end of the day he was on a road/motorway were there was no traffic, its better than on a road were there is alot of traffic. Wats the point in buying a bike GSXR-1000 if u r not going to use the power. BUT use it safetly.

SIEGERMOTORSPORTS wat a dick

Reply to this Topic
chrispy102

Nov 07

chrispy102 says:

If you break a law but nobody sees you and there's no victim, is it a crime?

SiegerMotosports, the day it becomes impossible to speed on a motorcycle will be the death of an industry!

Dont think Ive ever seen a more inapt user name.

Reply to this Topic
smartroad

Aug 07

smartroad says:

BroonBottle

The main thing to consider with that comparison is that a 2.5ton Range Rover doing 100mph has far more momentum then a bike of the same speed. Thus a bike would have to get to a higher speed to have a similar momentum. The car at that speed (100mph) has 5.5 times the momentum then the bike doing 166mph. I know which I would rather have hit me if I had to choose.

I'm not trying to justify what he done, he was speeding - end of - but I feel that the sentence given out to him is just too harsh when a Range Rover doing 100mph would probably get 6 points and a year or two ban. Especially when the Range Rover is far more of a risk.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tackyaccy

Dec 07

tackyaccy says:

No its not

a crime, he hasn't caused harm or loss under common law, It's a statute he has broken againt the corporation of Gt Britain,we all accepted these statutes when we registered our vehicles and signed our driving licences ie The Motoring Act. And and the word Act means just that, it's laughable.Oh by the way when our parents signed our birth certificates they unkowingly changed us all from  Human Beings  to a Person that can be done under statute law. What makes it worse was we wern't given a choice, I mean we were newborns at the time. Crafty Ba****ds.

Regards Tackyaccy

Reply to this Topic
essexroadkill

Jul 09

Grow Up Or Shut Up

He's a speeding arsehole who displayed simple disregard for safe speeds.

Should of gone to Knockhill instead.

Its been said a million times, these people ruin the image of people (such as myself) who simply DONT speed at all, or even those who nudge the limit under safe conditions.

160mph is simply what a impotant middle aged loser does to try and feel like a 21 boy, and look at the consequences.

People who complain about this just need to grow some balls and be a man about what they've done.

Wanker.

Think you missed the point there , the sentance handed down didnt fit the offence and the biker was treated unfairly as usual .

As stated everyone on a bike has broke a speed limit at some stage the same as car drivers its just luck if your not caught  , i get fed up hearing about people locked away for speeding when you constantly hear about perverts being given community service for far more serious offences

Reply to this Topic
pgracing1

Jul 09

pgracing1 says:

where is the justice....

after reading this story and comments i feel that i must express my opnion.i am absolutely disgusted in his sentence it is simply bang out of order this country is a farce. i own a zx 6 r an yes it dosent stick to the speed limits it comes out as a toy.

we all no the risks and we kinda no how the system works when were found speeding but this sentance is all about a judge who didnt get his leg over the night before and thought he make a meal out of this poor chap.its just another example of this country on a mission to try and get bikes of the road. and while i keep reading stories like its gonna work i think i may just go the track permantly and be done with it.............................................  but then its like admiting defeat to the bas.#@s they would take our under pants of us is they could ... SO SOD EM AND KEEP IT SHINNY SIDE UP.

Reply to this Topic
petrol-head46

Apr 07

Wrong!!!

I really dont understand the law in this country at all!!!! I mean any speeding offence in my opinion should never be a jail sentance unless you kill by dangerous driving. Like others have said there is a lot more other offenses on the road on a day to day basis like drink and drug driving even having no licence at all which should carry a more strict sentance. But no its the same old crap in this sorry ass country we live in.

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

Well......

So long as i can get knee and toe down on country roads at 60mph im fine with the speed limit and see no reason for it to be made faster.

70mph sweepers are pure bliss when your right over hehe

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices