Skip to content

Discuss This Donington Park owner dies General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Donington Park owner dies

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Donington Park owner dies

Tom Wheatcroft, the man who took Donington Park from a wrecked World War II airfield to a venue good enough for a Formula One race in 1993 has died aged 87 after a long illness. Wheatcroft bought the track in 1971 for £100,000 and spent two decades renovating the track with the dream of hosting an F1 race. He also managed to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (02 November 2009 15:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

that picture of the Carter boys makes me feel old !

What a mess donington must be in now ?, Seeing Alan and Kenny in the photo's took me back,I read the other day that Mal their dad died last month,now there was a character ,i remember a marshall at Silverstone taking exception to where Mal had decided to give Alan signals from after a brief chat Mal decked the marshall and continued until he was later called to race control ,going back to Donington in the early days they put on some great international meetings but once they got the gp it just went to pot and they got greedy and the spectator given no thought whatsoever Tom Wheatcroft must of been gutted to see what has happened to the place this year

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Mr Wheatcroft would be very sad at whats happened in the last week, The F1 deal has fallen through, Donington Park will have lost shedloads of money on that. They have lost the MotoGP and even the WSB round is in jeapardy.

the track is like a building site with nothing to build for, who knows what will happen?

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Sad

Sad to hear of anyone passing away and my sympathy goes to his family.

But if only they had paid more attention to the paying customer this awful place would not have been in the mess it is now.

lets all hope the circuit is laid to rest forever as well,for the sake of British motor sport

I will be very surprised if the WSB will go ahead next year ! and this is a pity as we have the best British riders taking part for years.

Reply to this Topic
therightstuff

Feb 09

MotoGP

I went to my first MotoGP this year at Donnington as it was the last one.  It was in the (not so) cheap seats, however I could see plenty and loved the experience.  Shame there wont be anything there next year, although it was not so long ago that Silverstone was needing development work etc and now it has F1 and MotoGP

Reply to this Topic
sdv9r

Nov 09

sdv9r says:

SAD

This man kept other tracks on thier toes when Donnington was opened as we now know it and to be honest it's still the bench mark in this country from a rider's point of view although spectators still have thier  grumble's and just they are. I spent my teenage years and early twentys with regular visit's to donington during the racing season and many times chatted with Tom Wheatcroft and it is very sad to hear of his death, a name not to be forgotten.

Reply to this Topic
Big-Gixxer-Pix

Aug 08

My Condolences to Mr Wheatcrofts family

For someone to develope and turn the circuit into a place where top class racing has been competing for many years is such a success story..

I have attended and riden the circuit many many many times and loved it..

Whether it be Moto Gp or Wsb or Bsb, its a great weekend and staying Nottingham city centre is always good laugh...

I can understand some people unhappiness at the way the circuit is seen to be run and don't think the toilets are nice and Steward's don't know what there doing.. No investment in seats and stands.

But lets be fair we are there for the Racing full stop.

Personally I wont be going to Silverstone next year for Moto Gp, nice flat circuit with new track layout for bikes... Are they still going to do that if they get F1 back....? me not think so..

I will always have the last track day at Doni in my memories and striking that throttle as hard as I could going down Craner cruves through the old hard pin and up to McLean's.. Bloody fantastic....

I hope something gets sorted for next year and Wsb make the calender and I'm back there with my bike.

Reply to this Topic
allypee69

Oct 09

allypee69 says:

Great Days

I do hope that MCN will give over page(s) on Tom Wheatcrotf and what he did and how passionate he was  about motorsport and bike racing.                                                                                                                         I have dragged my kids along for 19 years and have witnessed the Rainey/Schwantz/Lawson battles and the Fogarty/Russel struggles.                                                                                                                                        To see a full grid of 36 250cc GP bikes swoop down Craner curves and jostle for position thru Old Hairpin was scary stuff, and we always drove the 230 miles home full of memories on what is still a great place to view racing. It may have  lacked finesse, but it never lacked character (Melbourne Loop excepted) and from Hollywood thru to the Dunlop bridge it had one of the best sections in world racing!

Please give TW the coverage he deserves.

Reply to this Topic
nedd

Feb 09

nedd says:

Thank you - now for the money !

Thank you to Tom Wheatcroft for the Motor Museum and an excellent track with such a History.  Now, seeing as our illustrious Government, Pride of Europe (! daren`t say what they should do with Europe) forked out loads of money on new roads for a Southern circuit so we could have more of a sport worse than watching paint dry (where they can`t overtake so win in pits) and hardly anybody (well, I certainly can`t - last time went was 1966 when drivers could drive without computers and was worth watching) can afford it.  Now we need a completely uprated M42 and superlative dualled A42 like the A43 past Silverstone and government money thrown at Donington to get us a Formula One race to bring the money up North and so we can also watch real motor racing with Moto GP  and WSB.    Seemples !!        Greetings, Nedd 

Reply to this Topic
squires369

May 06

squires369 says:

Donations to Toms charity

If you would like to donate to the Family charity then click on this link.

He did a lot for us motorcyclists.

http://www.justgiving.com/tomwheatcroft

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices