Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Norton Commando 961 set for launch New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Video: Norton Commando 961 set for launch

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Norton Commando 961 set for launch

The New Norton Commando 961 is ready to roll. MCN was granted exclusive access to Norton's factory at Donington Park to see the very first production Commando 961SE nearing completion.  Video: World first ride on the Norton Commando 961 Watch the video for a closer look at the new Norton and read the full story in this week's MCN, on sale...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (03 November 2009 12:21)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sdv9r

Nov 09

sdv9r says:

It looks very nice and can't wait to ride one, i like the modern retro look and it would be great to see these 961's at bike meets up and down the country. I hope the reliability can compete with the japanese bikes but the only thing i would change would be the exhaust as they are a bit low for me a do give that hesketh look which i don't like but that just me or is it.

Reply to this Topic
kendizx9r

Oct 04

kendizx9r says:

great looking bike

but dont think it will appeal to a wide audience as far as sales are concerned

retro it is

they have a long way to go to beat triumph

Reply to this Topic
psychogirl

Aug 02

psychogirl says:

wow

I am liking it. I'd have one if I had loads cash to throw about.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

All new

It's a nice bike but what's the point?

That's fine to know it is all new but how much of it was actually made in the UK at a guess i would say probably around 2% of the whole bike.

Electronics: japanese, probably made in china.

Engine: probably japanese made in china.

Suspension: probably japanese made in china.

What is actually made in the UK about this bike, oh the name and maybe the oil but run by americans.

yes it seems it was put together in the UK a whopping 95% of it was and yes it was designed in the UK using japanese computers no doubt and copying as much japanese bike tech as possible.

I don't want to knock this bike but lets be honest about norton, they lost it a long time ago and it is a shame as it was the first bike i ever sat on and probably the sole reason why i ride bikes today.

We in the UK don't have the engineering skills any more to have a good flurishing motorcycle industry and even if we did to build a bike and engineer a bike including the electronics needed to keep it legal under todays legislation it would cost way to much money for anyone except the very rich to afford.

All British bike Nope japanese bike with most if not all the parts made in china with a British name seems more likely, designed,  perhaps in the UK but based on japanese bikes for sure.

What is a good reason for buying this japanese bike with a british name over say buying a honda with a tried and tested reliable japanese engineering name even if their bikes are put together badly in European countries now instead of the high quality standards of japan that used to be?

Good luck to them but i doubt it will make much of a mark on the British biking market.

Reply to this Topic
phil3

Feb 03

phil3 says:

Sorry Fly by Night

MCN's Phil West writes: Sorry, chap, I couldn't let your comments about the Norton not being British pass unanswered. If you read today's MCN you'll know the score. The Norton's probably 90-odd per cent British. The engine's designed/developed in Daventry, the frame made in Coventry, the wheels and clocks are British, the paint's by Dream Machine in Nottingham, I could go on. Oh, and there's no americans involved at all. There's still plenty of bike/tech skills in the UK – most of Norton's team are ex-Triumph and there's plenty of components suppliers, especially in the Midlands, and clever engineering about, partly as a spin-off from F1. So, yes, it is all British pretty much. Sure the suspension's Ohlins (Swedish) and the brakes Brembo (Italian) but most won't complain about that. Hope that answers your questions. Phil

Reply to this Topic
jetset119

Aug 09

jetset119 says:

NC 961

The Bike looks awesome.I've always wanted one so it looks like my dreams may come true.I'm sure the version they are showing is top of the line I wonder what the base version will look like and of course how much power are we talking here and what type of handling capabilities does it have .its very sharp looking and I want one.

Reply to this Topic
redflamebiker

Aug 04

phil3 comments

Phil, living very close to Daventry, is there anyway I could contact the guys who developed the engine?

It's sad that 'Fly by Night' believes we couldn't one day again have a "flourishing motorcycling industry." Maybe I'm too optimistic? But long term why not?

I do believe the UK has the engineering skills...

Reply to this Topic
JonWilman

Nov 09

JonWilman says:

UK Engineering

Sorry to here that Fly by Night has such  poor faith in UK engineering skills. I am interested what you do for a living. I am an Production Engineer for a UK owned electrical connector company based in the south of a country that I and many others have been producing goods for ,  which also contribute to the UK economy.                        

I wish all at Norton the best for the future and when I can afford to buy one I will park it next to my Speed Triple which was built at one of John Bloors two UK factorys that I have visited, seen components being manufactured, and also contributes tot he UK economy (do you?). If Stuart Garner can achive a small fraction of what John Bloor has then he will have done something good. Why don't you go and move to Japan or China or better still get a job in the Government who also have a low opinion of UK engineering importance. I am guessing you might work for a Merchant Banker !

Reply to this Topic
RogerRamjet51

Nov 09

Norton 961SE

Norton has nearly made it back into production. That alone deserves a massive round of applause and support from ANY biker.

I have a Norton 961SE on order.  I have visited the Donnington Park factory. I have seen the work and effort that has gone into this bike. To be honest, the objectors are doing nothing to support the bike industry and would be better of dreaming of having any bike at all. Stick to buses, you will get helped on, it's safer and you can park the zimmer.

I shall enjoy this bike as any other that I have bought. British, Japanese, Italian or US.

Great discussion, wasted on Fly by Night. Agree that he should go to Japan, ride the speed restricted roads and suffer the constant traffic jams.  Or get his bus pass renewed. Your a Chump mate!

Reply to this Topic
Overlookedlegend68

Oct 09

UK Engineering

There's nothing worse than someone talking out of their hat (Fly By Night....).

I have just restored a 500 clubby Gold Star, full nut & bolt, and I can tell you there is no shortage of skills in the UK, just a general lack of belief in what we can do by all the doubters, who in the main have been brainwashed by the Sun that the UK is finished. The amount of UK suppliers who can mend, restore or replicate is astonishing. 

I've worked in the UK motorsport triangle for the last 20 years, try telling my friends (who fabricate everything from scratch) that we don't have the skills!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices