Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcycle casualties fall and rise General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcycle casualties fall and rise

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Motorcycle casualties fall and rise

Motorcycle casualties fell 6% in the 12 months to June 2009 compared to the previous year, new Department for Transport figures show. But confusingly the figures also show there were 3% more motorcycle casualties in the second quarter of 2009 than during the same period in 2008. The news is a worrying sign that a dip in motorcycle casualties in 2008...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (06 November 2009 15:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PENWELL

Jul 08

PENWELL says:

cyclist casualties

There is no evidence to say that moptorcyclists using bus lanes has had an impact on cyclists casualties. If this was the case then we would have known about it in the news media.

Reply to this Topic
BeanDiving

Aug 08

BeanDiving says:

DSA mod1 included?

Do the figures include the casualties from MOD 1 tests?

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

motorcyclists casualties fall

One of the things not taken into account is the weather.  If its a fine weekend more bikers will be on our roads particularly on sunday [ motorcycle day with all the slow sunday cage driver]

The last couple of years with what we now call global warming the months of july and august have been particularly wet [ up here in the north at least] and that accounts for fewer miles riden and therefore fewer casualties.

If a poll was taken of bikers mileage for 2006/7/8/ and 9 i bet this will show less mileage more recently. I know mine has been reduced from 11000 in 2006 to about 8000 last year. Posibly less this year.

It would be nice to believe that motorcyclists have become more safe and that road safety promotions are working but that may not be the case.  Sorry to say.

Reply to this Topic
chrispy102

Nov 07

chrispy102 says:

Dito

I second rcraven's comment.

People too readily accept stats at face value. 2008 was an el Nino year, ergo WET WET WET

Another favourite of mine is "90% of all road accidents accour 5 miles from the drivers home address".  This means no more than 90% of your driving/riding is done 5 miles from your home address.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

MCN - Cut this 'statistical' bullshite. Give us NUMBERS, real tangible NUMBERS. Nobody or their grannie can take anything of value away from looking at percentage figures. It'd be nice for a link to the information too so that we can study what the figures are based on!

As for the last sentence. WHY is it even included in the story? You trying to rile people again? What utter nonsense, get a grip on reality and STOP trying to stir a hornets nest with this bull. Cycle lobby groups WILL be looking at statistical information but I would imagine that they will be far more interested in the stats for 'accidents in bus lanes involving motorcyclists and pedal cyclists' strangely enough rather than how many loonies have died on the A82 this year... Give us some REAL journalism and stop hiding behind your restricted press rules.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

Am not sure i agree whole heartedly with crispy about  90% of all motorcycle accident occur within 5 miles from home. though he did refer to drivers which brings in all on 4 wheels.  Now understanding that the majority of people who live and therefore drive/ride in this country live in towns or suberbs ,lets say about 90% and that they commute through some of there township its easy to understand where that stastistic came from

As regards to bikes there are 3 main areas of concern,    1 .....is round town with the dangers are increased by the volume of traffic and road clutter.     2.... is in country lanes round bends or corners and  3.... is inappropriate overtaking manouvers in country or town.

In my experience the first involves young [under 25] riders the majority of which are on scooters and other learner bikes.

The 2nd and 3rd generally involve those over 30 yrs who have perhaps come back to biking or those who dont give a dam and ride as if its there last time, thus disregarding the danger they put themselves and others in and of any subsequent consequences. 

Unfortunately there is a 4th........... those of any age and experience who are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident for which they are blameless.

About stastistics .I once pointed out on a forum that about 500 bikers are killed in a year and some female rider took issue and wrote that this represented such a small proportion of the number of riders and of the annual mileage done that the % was not worth worrying about. ........ You can't win with some people!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices