Skip to content

Discuss This Milan Show: 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 attacks BMW R1200GS head-on New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Milan Show: 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 attacks BMW R1200GS head-on

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Milan Show: 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 attacks BMW R1200GS head-on

Ducati is aiming the new Multistrada 1200 at the heart of the BMW R1200GS but has given the motorcycle an ultra-modern twist and 150bhp. The Multistrada is one of the most hotly-anticipated new motorcycle and MCN has been at the forefront of bringing news and pictures of the motorcycle as it has been developed over the past two years. Our expecatations were already set...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 November 2009 12:08)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
foggie996

Jan 04

foggie996 says:

Pretty but vulnerable

It beats the GS in appearance hands-down. But that front exhaust down-pipe lokks vulnerable to any offroading with ruts and such.......

Reply to this Topic
jimbob46

Dec 08

jimbob46 says:

It looks really nice but Ducati service costs on a bike built for long distance could put a strain on the wallet, unless they've reduced their prices and not told me.........................................

Reply to this Topic
richardh99

Oct 05

richardh99 says:

"...and haven't told me.": They have and they obviously didn't. 7500 mile service intervals now and (apparently) the shims are easier to check - previously it cost almost as much to have the shims checked as to replace them. It's also worth noticing that, after the first couple of services, the valves tend to stay in clearance for a very long time - mine haven't needed doing for 25,000 of the 45,000 miles that I've done on my ST4s. Richard

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Looks fragile in comparison to the BMW, the BMW's far more robust looking and looks like it would last unlike the Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Which

one would you trust to take into the dessert?  (hypothetical question I know given that most of these machines get no further than North Wales on a sunny day...).

There's something about shaft drive, and its protection from the elements, that says 'longevity'....

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

Longevity shaftdrive!!!! obviously spoken by a man who's never a had a Beemer with more than 30,000 on the clock,because even at that stage,new chain and sprockets and all is good, as opposed all the hassle of a shaft.

Reply to this Topic
goksel

Feb 09

goksel says:

this multi is not trying to attack Beemer's longevity or whatever you call that...

this bike attacks what beemer kills inside a rider :)  joy of riding

beemer is not a bike it is a transporter ... ride a ducati you will understand what I mean

Reply to this Topic
OUR GEE

Aug 02

OUR GEE says:

BMW's biggest problem at the moment with the GS is not losing customers enticed by the great looking Multistrada but by the ongoing Quality Problems with the GS. A well used GS Web Site has recorded 349 Fuel Pump Controller Failures so far (failure is a show stopper) and thats just with info provided by those who use that web site. It's now becoming the "norm" for BMW Riders to carry "Spare" Controllers along with Ignition Ring Antenna's when venturing away from home.

Reply to this Topic
mattveli

Nov 09

mattveli says:

If Ducati cannot hold together without major electric and mechanical problems on a good condition road use, how the h*ll it could last in a bit rougher enviroment?

It might be a nice citybike, but to take that in wet roads/rough conditions, no thanks.

How do I know this? 5yrs experience on a very poor quality 999S.

Reply to this Topic
richardh99

Oct 05

richardh99 says:

Done 70,000 miles on my last two ducatis and the only show-stopper was caused by a dealer when it went in for a normal service. Riding in all temperatures and weathers - in the Scottish Highlands and live a mile up what could be kindly described as a motocross track. I've toured all over Europe in the company of GS1200s and have NEVER had a trip where one of them didn't come back on a trailer. If I want reliability, I ain't going for a BMW...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices