Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Ducati Desmosedici vs Ferrari 430 Scuderia First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Ducati Desmosedici vs Ferrari 430 Scuderia

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Ducati Desmosedici vs Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Which is fastest - the Ducati Desmosedici RR or the Ferrari 430 Scuderia? Car fans will argue a supercar can out-brake and out-corner a bike, but we'll point out that a bike's power-to-weight ratio is much better, so in a straight race the car will never even get close enough to the bike to use its 'magic' powers.    To prove two wheels...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 November 2009 09:30)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wild_stuart

Sep 02

wild_stuart says:

ps...

apologies for getting an Accord mixed up with the Civic in my earlier comment.... my bad!

Reply to this Topic
S1000RR

Jun 09

S1000RR says:

I know we all love bikes but this is a rubbish test.

The bike is being ridden by a professional test rider and the 460 Scud is being driven by some rich guy who cant drive quickly.

Should be re-run with a professional test driver and look at the time then I suspect with so many corners the car with the superior grip would probably shade it.  

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

yes but

at least the guy driving the car will be able to push the car near the limit in the turns and if he over does it - he'll go into the gravel - so what? If Neeves comes off he was wrecked somone elses 50k bike and injured himself - a much higher price. so as stated in MCN he isnt pushing hard. all this favours the car.

Still I think if you had it as Duke test rider vs Ferrari test driver with both having the freedom to push as hard as possible the Desmo or a 1098R would still win by 10+secs. Cars like this are no faster in the corners than modern sportsbikes (as the data in MCN displed) the bike was up on g-force and apex speed. The only small advantage the car would have is braking. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Performance Car magazine were doing these sort of tests 20 years ago, they are as pointless now as they were then.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

stig

would the results be any different with the Stig driving the car? that'd be awesome, especially if he was against a MotoGP rider on the bike...

Reply to this Topic
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

The guy in the car was driving like a total pansy. As Davdamos says, if Ben (I mean the stig) was in the car it would've been a hell of a lot closer. Reckon the bike would still take it... just.

Reply to this Topic
prawny

Nov 09

prawny says:

lets face it, you aint gonna get rossi and button on a head to head, and to all you hard core drivers out there, obvously the ferrari driver is better than what the video shows cause they wouldnt hold such a test, just face it bikes are quicker.

Reply to this Topic
rascal32

Dec 03

rascal32 says:

I did an Almeria trackday in November 2005 on a 02 r1 it was cold and windy but sunny all days (3) and i managed a couple of 1.47 on the last day with loads of 1.48 on the second day.

I would say im a good fast group rider,  so i think the jurno must of been taking it easy 

Reply to this Topic
BlackPrince

Feb 09

BlackPrince says:

merv007

EVO did a test a few years ago of car v. bike, and the road cars like the BMW M3, Porsche 911 GT3 and Lambo Murcielago were much much much slower than the race cars for the street like the Radical SR3.

For this test to be valid, considering that the Desmo is the most expensive and quickest bike one can buy (other than maybe the 1098R, but even then the diff would be minimal methinks), one should have the quickest car money can buy and that is NOT a Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborgini - even the quickest ones.

Its a foregone and easy conclusion that something even like an R6 could challenge if not beat any supercar around a track - the average R1 would positively murder anything.

For a proper test I'd say you'd need a Caparo T1, Radical SR8, or a Westfield of some sort. Anything short of those models, you may as well get a Mini Cooper for the car as the bike will win anyway.

Reply to this Topic
9999steve

Jun 06

9999steve says:

car/bike

My grandad could have driven faster and he never had a car licence!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices