Skip to content

BMW Facts and figures: BMW S1000RR vs Fireblade vs GSX-R1000 vs R1 vs ZX-10R S1000RR

You are in... Forums > BMW > S1000RR > Facts and figures: BMW S1000RR vs Fireblade vs GSX-R1000 vs R1 vs ZX-10R

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Facts and figures: BMW S1000RR vs Fireblade vs GSX-R1000 vs R1 vs ZX-10R

MCN will be riding the new BMW S1000RR at the world launch next Tuesday. All the latest info on the S1000RR Chief road tester Trevor Franklin will be riding the Honda Fireblade, Suzuki GSX-R1000, Yamaha R1 and Kawasaki ZX-10R during the days before he flies out to Portimao in Portugal, so he can give the best idea of how the new...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (13 November 2009 11:52)

Post a message in S1000RR

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Beer&Darts

Apr 08

Beer&Darts says:

RPM?

If it has the most power with the joint-least torque, then I'm guessing that the BMW has a higher rev-limit than anything else, right? I'd be interested to know how peaky the motor is because you'd have to imagine that it would be rev-hungry. Could the author post the rpm's that max power and torque were measured at for each bike?

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

RPM

they're not tested figures, just figures that BMW have provided. tested figures will surely follow the launch next tuesday. i hope it's as good as they say it is though, there needs to be more competition so the technology can move on some more

Reply to this Topic
Beer&Darts

Apr 08

Beer&Darts says:

Understood, but the figures given for all of the manufacturers in the article are claimed. Assuming that the drive-trains all have similar percentage power losses, this should allow direct comparison. The beemer has the highest claimed bhp figure by some margin, but as the torque is no higher it looks like it may be a screamer - not really what I'd ideally want in a road bike. You're right though, we'll only really know when they're tested.

Reply to this Topic
tkmax

Feb 08

tkmax says:

I dont care if the new bm has more BHP i'll stick with my 09 R1 thank you very much!!! 

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

How it rides is what counts

The S1000RR on paper stats look good but how it translates to the road is what really matters to me. The comparison of stats is not reflection of what the riding experience is like, just because it has more power does not mean it will be better.

I've had my GSXR1000K7 remapped, cat removed, Arrow cans and K&N filter it makes 173bhp 81lbft at the wheel, fitted a +2 rear sprocket to give it more thrust as it was overgeared as OE. It now goes quite well but I will hopefully test ride the S1000RR and if it is noticeably better I might upgrade.

Reply to this Topic
guyincognito

Oct 08

guyincognito says:

bmw

who's going to pay daft money for the bmw, when it has'nt won anything yet and the other 1,000's are just as good??

Reply to this Topic
Voltaire

Nov 09

Voltaire says:

Keeping it real...

None of the weighs listed are correct. How can anyone, especially a magazine populated with "objective" journalists, write a legitimate story when the initial facts on which the article is based are wrong? And where's the Aprilia RSV4? Ducati 1198? And since the entire article is theoretical, might as well throw in the new but looks like an uglier version of last decade's bike MV Agusta F1000R.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Pointless...

Ultimately the small variations in power and weight make little difference to the people who buy these bikes. lets be honest, none of us fully utilise anywhere near the performance offered by 1000cc sportsbikes. A couple of horsepower here, or a couple of kilograms there, if makes no real world difference, what does make a difference is how much you enjoy riding it, and whether the seating position suits you. Its all very well playing top trumps and claiming your Fireblade is the lightest in its class until some 10st waif flys by your 15st arse on his 5kg heavier S1000R, same can be said for the differences in power. Strange too how the least powerful bike on paper is certainly my favourite 1000cc sports bike (But then again I haven't ridden the BMW, or the new R1 which incidentally looks like its made from the same plastic they make Primark coat hangers out of!)

Reply to this Topic
johncrosby

Nov 09

johncrosby says:

People with taste and money will get the BMW

To guyincognito, Not all of us are poor and without taste. I wouldn't be seen dead on a Jap bike - too common, too cheap and totally bereft of all the technology and safety features of any BMW. A GS fully loaded would eat up anyone on a Jap bike on anything other than perfect track conditions. How annoying for you that now the only thing stopping a recommendation of a BMW is your own inadequate wallet. Don't be jealous now!

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

REAL WORLD VALUES

In the hands of a professional rider on a closed circuit is where the miniscule differences of these mighty machines can be evaluated. In the real world on public roads zero per cent of riders can take these machines to their ultimate limits. So it comes down to exclusivity, desirability, price and personal taste that will be the deciding factor for the vast majority who will buy these machines. Of course that is not to discount the bragging rights in the local over a few scoops of your favourite brew as to their ultimate top speed, handling etc etc etc. Ciao  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices