You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Sticking Clutch

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MrRock

May 09

MrRock says:

Sticking Clutch

Despite my '96 Yamaha Virago 535 being a bit of a pussy when it comes to power it also seems to be afraid of the wet!  The battery gives up the ghost very quickly (despite being a new one) and I need to bump start it on cold mornings.  However when I tried this the other morning in the wet (that fine constant rain that soaks you to the bone) the clutch wouldn't engage when I put it in gear.  This meant I couldn't bump start it because when I pulled the clutch in, it remained in gear and instantly stalled.  I tried adjusting the clutch cable but no matter how tight or loose it still had the same problem.

Now it's been a couple of days and I went to get the bike out the garage to have a better look at it this morning and it started up first time.  Not only that the clutch seemed fine and I've just got back from a 50 mile blast with no issues at all.

I have noticed the clutch being a bit clunky before in wet weather, but it's never fully stuck before.

Now the obvious answer to my problem would be "don't ride it in the wet" but since getting rid of my car I use it to get to work.  Does anyone know why it sticks, and what I can do to fix it (without taking it to a mechanic - I'm trying to get as much mechanical experience myself as I can).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (15 November 2009 11:35)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

clutch

Oh dear,bump starting wont do your bike any favours so your electrics need checking.More info needed though,what`s the mileage,when was the oil&filter changed and what type/viscosity of oil is it in now.?

Reply to this Topic
MrRock

May 09

MrRock says:

it's done 19000 miles

Although it had stood for about a year outside before I bought it.  It had a service about 3 months ago, as for oil, I topped it up recently with the usual motorcycle oil they sell at the BP garage.
I'm looking to get one of those decent Optimax battery chargers soon.
Thanks Jaffa90.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

YAMAHA VIRAGO 535 1996

Hi Mr Rock

First thing i would say is the bike is now 13 years old!! and could be high mileage(you don't say)so things could be a bit worn and baggy?

Do an oil change and new filter and see if this makes any difference.

Check your clutch adjustment at the push lever in the clutch case,this should be at least at 90degrees or a few degrees  back of this to give more pull.If it is a lot farther forwards than it should be then there is wear either in the clutch push rod or its connecting components.(you will need to replace the worn parts)

I think this is what you mean??if you mean the clutch wouldn't disengage ie it stayed pulled in then its probably just the clutch cable seizing up,but i don't think that's what you mean? is it!!

If it is not this then it could be the clutch basket is worn on the fingers,and is not allowing the clutch plates to separate(sticking together) 

As for the not starting when its wet,the electrical fault you have had has not been resolved with the replacement of the battery?so would still need some more attention and investigation?Good Luck

K.C.:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
MrRock

May 09

MrRock says:

kcmc

Cheers.

It only happens in the wet and from what you describe below it sounds like the clutch plates are sticking together - but it only happens in wet weather.

I will check out the electrics to see if there is any bare or touching wires, or any that appear broken.  Like I say it stood for about a year in the elements before I bought it so its a little rough around the edges.  I've ordered a Haynes manual to help me navigate my way around the bike.  I'm not too scarred of electrics as I'm normally quite good with that sort of thing, it's just the mechanical stuff that I don't have much experience of.  Armed with a manual, a logical brain and plenty of patience is it possible to replace the sticking clutch plates myself - or should I leave it to the experts?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

I think you should have no problem,you sound very confident,so i cant see any problem with you stripping and examining the parts that may need replacing.The Haynes manual will give you the service limits and advice and pictures so you can make your own judgements.Good Luck

And to help things along,here's a owner's manual to get you started

http://www.carlsalter.com/aaman/Yamaha_XV535.pdf

K.C.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
MrRock

May 09

MrRock says:

Brilliant!

Nice one kcmc, you've been a big help. Cheers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices